Scrapbook Bootcamp - May 2023

Cassel

There have been unexpected challenges this week, and I haven't had time to make a sandwich - figuratively and literally. I hope to find a few minutes this afternoon to prepare both.

"Linda" means beautiful in Spanish. When she was handed to me, I changed the spelling to a non-traditional one because that's how we do things in our house. She had a beautiful spirit that was always calming. The anniversary of her passing is this weekend. 

The kit used for the layout is called "Celebration" by whispy's D'zines from GoDigitalScrapbooking.com. 

GNL-BootcampMay-01-600.jpg

• Love 13

Project 1 - 

I tried to add a frame around the flower picture by using shadow on left and right sides.

>>> I have found that for me, I am unable to  use the frame tool in Paintshop Pro 2022 for largelarge.ScrapBootcampProject1600x600.jpg.6e6ae7efd78f4864445ca46c1dfdcaa1.jpg mages like this  one (3600x3600)

This may have made the drop shadow that I added for the project look bad around this.

The picture was taken with my iphone 5S, yes it is old but still works.

The papers I used were from the suggested pack from Digital Scrapbook site .. I did change the colour of one of the papers.

For the hearts, I just used the Heart from Preset Shape tool and resized using other papers from the same pack.

The font used is Varsity Team. I cannot be sure where I got this.

• Like 5
  • Love 7

15 minutes ago, Randy said:

Project 1 - 

I tried to add a frame around the flower picture by using shadow on left and right sides.

>>> I have found that for me, I am unable to  use the frame tool in Paintshop Pro 2022 for largelarge.ScrapBootcampProject1600x600.jpg.6e6ae7efd78f4864445ca46c1dfdcaa1.jpg mages like this  one (3600x3600)

This may have made the drop shadow that I added for the project look bad around this.

The picture was taken with my iphone 5S, yes it is old but still works.

The papers I used were from the suggested pack from Digital Scrapbook site .. I did change the colour of one of the papers.

For the hearts, I just used the Heart from Preset Shape tool and resized using other papers from the same pack.

The font used is Varsity Team. I cannot be sure where I got this.

Randy: Here's a little tutorial that Cassel just published all about making borders on photos. https://scrapbookcampus.com/2023/05/6-ways-to-add-borders-with-paintshop-pro/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gerry Landreth said:

I added a cookie as a reward/incentive. Although you can't tell by looking, it's sugar-free, as is the latte.

GNL-BootcampMay-00-600.jpg

I tried making low fat peanut butter cookies once.  Took a week to chip them off the cookie sheet!  

• Haha 4
  • Love 1

On 5/16/2023 at 10:49 PM, Anne Lamp said:

I got a little carried away with this 1st project.  The sandwich is ham on rye with vegies and mayo,  I didn't want anything hot to drink so I am having orange juice.  I get sloppy so I gave myself some paper napkins. .  I chose the tablecloth because I think I am going to be doing mostly animals for my projects.

My table 5 23.w sandwich etc 6.jpg

Thank you for adding the story along with this. It is nice to hear how you made your decisions.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 11:55 AM, Ann Seeber said:

LESSON 3 - My House Finches Love Grape Jelly ... who knew? I thought it was for the Baltimore Orioles who are not here yet. Meanwhile the finches are loving it!

HOUSE FINCHES_600.jpg

Your composition looks good enough to be in a magazine!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anne Lamp said:

Here is my day 3 project.  The photo was a screenshot from one of the many explore live cams  (https://explore.org/livecams/african-wildlife/naledi-cat-eye) I think I will be using pics from some of them for these projects. 

My day 3    6 b.jpg

I really like the background paper and the water drop scatter.  That is quite the interesting stork.  

• Like 2

@Sharla Simple paper is totally fine. That theme will be an interesting one.

@Susan Ewart I'll see if I can move the image for you in the gallery (I have never done it yet)

@Gerry Landreth I didn't know Linda meant beautiful in Spanish. I didn't even know it was Spanish! Beautiful tribute. That cookie looks yummy!

@Randy Using a shadow as a frame is interesting. For best visibility, you should then use it at 100% opacity. I'll check the Frame tool on my 2022. I didn't think you would use it in this project.

@Anne Lamp I would go a little less on the shadows, especially on the title. As a rule of thumb, if you have a font with fine lines, a shadow needs to have less offset, so there won't be a visible "gap" between those fine lines and the shadow (which would make it look like it is hovering over the paper). That photo is stunning. Will we have more cam photos?

OK, tomorrow, you will get the second project to do. If you have not finished the first one, don't worry. You can still catch up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Sharla Simple paper is totally fine. That theme will be an interesting one.

@Susan Ewart I'll see if I can move the image for you in the gallery (I have never done it yet)

@Gerry Landreth I didn't know Linda meant beautiful in Spanish. I didn't even know it was Spanish! Beautiful tribute. That cookie looks yummy!

@Randy Using a shadow as a frame is interesting. For best visibility, you should then use it at 100% opacity. I'll check the Frame tool on my 2022. I didn't think you would use it in this project.

@Anne Lamp I would go a little less on the shadows, especially on the title. As a rule of thumb, if you have a font with fine lines, a shadow needs to have less offset, so there won't be a visible "gap" between those fine lines and the shadow (which would make it look like it is hovering over the paper). That photo is stunning. Will we have more cam photos?

OK, tomorrow, you will get the second project to do. If you have not finished the first one, don't worry. You can still catch up!

Carole - the meaning can range from cute to lovely to beautiful. It depends on the country and the delivery. When someone breathlessly says "que linda!" it is definitely "beautiful." 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The papers are from Marisa Lerin. The font is The Cat from Creative Fabrica, and the silhouette is from Jessica Dunn at Digital Scrapbook. 

The little guy in the window is Rudy. He watches when I leave and pops his head up when he hears me pull into the driveway. 

A side story ... In Lynda's younger days, she would get very excited when I came home. Even though she was deaf in her last few years, she would still poke her head up in the window and meet me at the door. I had no idea how she did it.

I finally realized Rudy would wake her to tell her I was home. He was a devoted companion and protector.

GNL-BootcampMay-02-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Project 2: Duck Love...I gots it!  

Another photo from the same photo date and again I used the kits available in the lesson.  I'm trying to challenge myself to only use what is in the kit/bundle, but allowing for color changes (absolutely everything was changed).  Next bootcamp I will try not do color changes but will get to choose any kit, and only use items from that kit.  That's my story, and I can't guarantee I'll stick to it because I probably wont even remember I said this. ?. I used a variety of ways to change the color in the papers/elements to match my vision and often using several on the same paper element.  Even making a selection, feathering, and then changing the color of the selection.  Good practice for me.  

Papers and Elements: Rachel Martin Designs; Felicity (Digital Scrapbook)

Fonts: Adam Melda, Action Is (Creative Fabrica) and Arial Black (windows).

Photo: mine 

BC Project 3- Duck Love I gots it-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 8

Using the photo I displayed earlier, I toned it up and it's now the star of Wisteria Days. Title Font - Glamlips w/custom gradient,
Background paper-Marisa Lerin (colorized), Photo by Debbie Lennox of her granddaughter Magic in Mendocino, CA. Detail font - Harrington,
Flower - AFT-Love Life, Bird art - found in my birds folder. 

BOOTCAMP LESSON 5-WISTERIA DAYS_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 9

36 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Using the photo I displayed earlier, I toned it up and it's now the star of Wisteria Days. Title Font - Glamlips w/custom gradient,
Background paper-Marisa Lerin (colorized), Photo by Debbie Lennox of her granddaughter Magic in Mendocino, CA. Detail font - Harrington,
Flower - AFT-Love Life, Bird art - found in my birds folder. 

BOOTCAMP LESSON 5-WISTERIA DAYS_600.jpg

Your custom gradients are very beautiful.  I like the choice of greens that you used with this.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Project 2 - Book number 2. 
The papers are my creation, the book image from the book cover, headphones a bit of vector art I copied and adjusted.
The 'home' in the title is Cornwall for the heroine who is catapulted away during WW2 A  very long gentle story. I listened to it whilst doing jigsaws in the winter. It took me weeks to finish it...

Project 2 600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 8

17 minutes ago, Sharla said:

The papers are my creation, the book image from the book cover, headphones a bit of vector art I copied and adjusted.
The 'home' in the title is Cornwall for the heroine who is catapulted away during WW2 A  very long gentle story. I listened to it whilst doing jigsaws in the winter. It took me weeks to finish it...

Project 2 600.jpg

Your papers are beautiful.  I particularly like the texture on the background light blue one.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sharla said:

Project 2 600.jpg

I always liked books by Rosamunde Pilcher.  Usually poignantly sweet.

• Love 2