May DIY Challenge (2023)

Cassel

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

At this moment in time I can't think any tutorials which will include the majority of  techniques I use, there is the  adjust what masterclass, which covers the adjustment layers, and there are lots of mask tutorials, also there's the beautiful mess masterclass.  I'm sure Carole can suggest other classes to watch. Over the years, and in time  you will be able do the same,  I can adapt techniques that I have learnt, and incorporate them in other things.  Just like what I suggested Ann did with her out of bounds photos, but that was a very simple alternative technique . 

Wow, thank you.  yes, I can do the mask version as I have taken the workshop (and finally have one mask version committed to memory...that is thanks to your advice of picking one thing and doing it over and over -thank you for that) and have watchd the masterclasses as well.  For some reason I thought it was some kind of feathering the edge of photo to have it fade out to nothing.  I believe you used it on a tag recently.  yes, I just checked, it's the vole tag.  I think I got it in my head that it was to do with making a selection and feathering or something.  I did see a tutorial in the campus also using the eraser tool and I could have used that.  It was at 1:30am and I wanted to finish and post.  Today I am a zombie.  Remember the days of reading a book before bed and not being able to put it down and then the next day you suffer from lack of sleep.  that's me today, hahaha. Now, I have to shake the cobwebs out of my head and go do some dandelion portraits before the lawnmower gets them.

Edited by Susan Ewart

I'll start with the strips, although they can be a pain to use.  If  I'm stumped by them, I nearly always resort to  using them to add text, they make excellent elements for  all kinds of journaling.  With regard to the faded edges that I do, I'm not fully  understanding what you are referring to.  So, I've posted what I think  you may be referring to. If so, a lot of different  techniques depending what I want to achieve are used.  What I will say is, they are all  created using  the mask tool.   I could give you step by step instructions for a specific project I have done, but then again there will be a lot of factors to take into account, to get the desired effect.  I think, it may be a project for Carole, for a masterclass.  

Book framed.jpg

Atumn quote (2).jpg

I meant to thank you also for all these samples, they are beathtaking and I can study them and see all the nuances (techniques) in them.  I did do selection>modify>set selection borders on all the photos and then used a gaussian blur instead of flood filling with a color.  Putting the two shadow layers (reg and reverse) under them made the "blur" frame more opaque, but it was a new(to me) technique I tried, I thought it was interesting.  

Edited by Susan Ewart

At this moment in time I can't think any tutorials which will include the majority of  techniques I use, there is the  adjust what masterclass, which covers the adjustment layers, and there are lots of mask tutorials, also there's the beautiful mess masterclass.  I'm sure Carole can suggest other classes to watch. Over the years, and in time  you will be able do the same,  I can adapt techniques that I have learnt, and incorporate them in other things.  Just like what I suggested Ann did with her out of bounds photos, but that was a very simple alternative technique . 

I think it's good to have several ways to get to the same ending.  I just watched the Adjust What masterclass (liked learning about grouping the adjustment so it only affects that one layer).  I recently did an iguana where I had to select areas, which i promoted to separate layers, to adjust that small area and not a global adjustment (over the who photo).  This is one thing i will start practicing and learning more to do.  I am now using adjustment layers prior to using photos in a layout.  It's crude right now, but as I practice and learn more hopefully it will not look "adjusted".  I will need to be comfortable with it as I switch to shooting in full time RAW.  Thanks for your help and guidance, I am grateful for it.   

Just now, Susan Ewart said:

I think it's good to have several ways to get to the same ending.  I just watched the Adjust What masterclass (liked learning about grouping the adjustment so it only affects that one layer).  I recently did an iguana where I had to select areas, which i promoted to separate layers, to adjust that small area and not a global adjustment (over the who photo).  This is one thing i will start practicing and learning more to do.  I am now using adjustment layers prior to using photos in a layout.  It's crude right now, but as I practice and learn more hopefully it will not look "adjusted".  I will need to be comfortable with it as I switch to shooting in full time RAW.  Thanks for your help and guidance, I am grateful for it.   

Now I  remember, I  did give you a quick technique on how to blur the edges on an image, and it was using  the feather tool. Do you need me to give you  instructions in point format, or do you remember  how to do it?  

Just now, Sue Thomas said:

Now I  remember, I  did give you a quick technique on how to blur the edges on an image, and it was using  the feather tool. Do you need me to give you  instructions in point format, or do you remember  how to do it?  

Using the selection tool select the area you want in your image, feather several times, copy and paste. It's  that simple. The only thing is you get a uniform  blur all around, whether it's  round., square or  rectangle. That's  fine if that's what you want. For corners only you need a Mask.

17 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Let me try it and see how I do.  and I'll report back.  I need to let my camera battery charge, so now it's housework and hopefully I'll try that technique.  I remembered that is part of what to do, but nothing feathers so i'm doing it wrong.  I'll report back when I give it another.  I often copy and paste the instructions and sometimes I forget and then I forget where it was at.  I am working on copy/paste any instructions right away...but sadly I fail often.  

17 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

22 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Let me try it and see how I do.  and I'll report back.  I need to let my camera battery charge, so now it's housework and hopefully I'll try that technique.  I remembered that is part of what to do, but nothing feathers so i'm doing it wrong.  I'll report back when I give it another.  I often copy and paste the instructions and sometimes I forget and then I forget where it was at.  I am working on copy/paste any instructions right away...but sadly I fail often.  

Here you go, I've done some screen shots for you to follow. Now this is fool proof!!!  LOL hahaha!  only joking!  Of course there are several ways to copy, you can either promote to a new (which is what I did) layer, paste as a new image/layer, or copy /paste directly into a project, paste as a new selection and more.  It's raining here, and it's wonderful, the first  proper rain since last year. I have the windows open listening to the rain.   The little bird is a Least Flycatcher, I have lots of them here.   they are ever so entertaining, they  look around for insects to catch on the wing. This one few off a second after the shot,  to catch an insect in  mid air.  They choose great vantage spots. 

Screenshot 2023-05-27 141843.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-27 142208.jpg

• Like 1

AWESOME!  thank you.  This is above and beyond.  My heart is singing right now (cover your ears, cant hold a tune so it goes without saying my heart wont be able to either).  What tiny but mighty bird this is, just a little puff ball...with attitude.  Before I leave the computer I will make the tutorial.  tonight I will have my homework done for you.  Lucky you, please send rain.  I love the rain too. And the smell after the rain is often quite nice.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

AWESOME!  thank you.  This is above and beyond.  My heart is singing right now (cover your ears, cant hold a tune so it goes without saying my heart wont be able to either).  What tiny but mighty bird this is, just a little puff ball...with attitude.  Before I leave the computer I will make the tutorial.  tonight I will have my homework done for you.  Lucky you, please send rain.  I love the rain too. And the smell after the rain is often quite nice.  

It was a pleasure,  without any effort on my part. I await with anticipation  to see your homework.

It was a pleasure,  without any effort on my part. I await with anticipation  to see your homework.

OMG!  The PSP angels are singing!  Thank you beyond belief Sue.  I have been wanting to do this for a very long time, it's embarrassing.  I have been using the magic wand to select the whole image, then feather and I'd see nothing.  Well, because obviously there is nothing beyond the edges to feather.  These instructions were as advertised...Fool Proof!  Thank you again.  I am happy camper tonight.  Glad to see Mary got into the lesson too.    

Homework for Sue-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

46 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

Sue and Susan.  You intrigued me.  So I had to try it out.  That's a great way to make a mask.

Steve's Rainbow-3.jpg

So cool isnt it Mary?  And so easy.   I have been embarrassed I couldnt figure it out on my own, but tonight I had to mention it.  I'm glad I did.   

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

There seems to be a problem with this site tonight.  Several times I have had to sign in twice.

This is my take on the DIY Challenge.  All papers are mine, the acorn is from Creative Fabrica.

DIY-2023-05_600.jpg

This is so pretty.  Love that plaid!  I too had to sign in twice.  I  wonder if it's from a Windows update.  

• Thanks 1

• Cassel unpinned this topic