April FONT Challenge (2023)

Cassel

Palette-Challenge.jpg

Whenever you create a project, it is likely that you will want to use some text. In this case, you might be looking for some interesting fonts to showcase titles or dates. This month, you will get the opportunity to download a free font that is a little different than usual.

You can get this free font at Creative Fabrica.

spacer.png

Do you have a nice spring photo or story to share to showcase this fun font?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Being the resident fontaholic, I would be remiss if I didn't participate in this challenge. I took the pic I made for my gaming group today and adapted it to this challenge. The Honeycomb font and clip art are from CF. The font on my original is Abongia which was in the Absolute Font Collection bundle from CF, too. I believe it might still be available for the next day or so.

large.BeeMyHoney!600.jpg.a42127c4f6c456144d93701435eeee94.jpg

large.FABDLBeeMyHoney!600.jpg.3eb97aac9d2e373794a1315feeb6f58e.jpg

Edited by Michele
  • Like 2
  • Love 9

By mistake I had downloaded a 3D flower mandela with 6 layers, colored and in png format. I had now clue what to do with it but decided to "assemble" the flower to give it a try before deleting it. The normal shadows didn't give a good result so I tried shadows without an offset and a blur and opacity from 100% on the backlayer to 40% on the toplayer and the little heart has a slight bevel to let it stand out a bit better. I choose a frame from the frames inside PSP and used the Flora Garden font with different colors. At least I had fun making it!

Font Challenge April 2023-600.jpg

• Love 11

24 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I have been downloading some 3D files too.  I love the look of your layout, even smaller compressed size I can see the layers and dimension in it.  This is beautiful, it looks like a real framed piece of artwork.  

Thank you, it surprised me too? I will certainly download some 3D files again.

• Like 1

I combined the April Front Challenge with Lab 6-8

• Stripe Ribbon
  • Custom Label
  • Cross Stitch

I didnt like my Stripe Ribbon so I put all 4 together, merged and made a couple layers and used it as a border with a blend mode.  The Custom Label; I saved the two parts before putting together and ended up using that version with the Flora Gardent font for the challenge in between.  I hummed and hawwed with the edging, if I should omit it from the text or continue it.  I tried just the top and bottom of the 'E' but it looked unfinished, going around the th outter edge looked weird, so I just closed it all up.  the shadow needs work on the offset so it makes it hard to see.  I believe the pictue tube leaves are Carole's.  The tag is KMRD-My Fathers Study Tag 01. The Cross Stitch I used as two stitches to hold the tag on.  The photo is mine I found while cataloguing shoot dates. I had passed it off as a bad photo, but thought I'd see how much I could do.  Adjustment layers were used and I made selections and used the Adjust option on the top of the tool bar for selections (3 different ones in total).  Does anyone know if you can make separate adjustments layers for selections, would I need to group them so the adjustment doesnt affect the whole photo?  I used a texture layer on the backgound to simulate reptile skin.  second font is Funky Grim (CF).  This was fun to do and a surprise at what I did with the photo.  Cant wait to get better at the photo editing/adjustment layer part of it. Again, I must add, my monitors are very bad so i really have no idea what anything I do looks like. 

LAB 6-8 Iguana-Folivore-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 7

Here's a funny thing I noticed.  No, I'm not into tatooing iguanas.  I was moving my Stripe Ribbon around and passed over the photo and it looked like the iguana had a tattoo.  I think this was a blend mode of "color", not the one I used in the layout.  Now I can see what people are doing when they color animals or other objects, they are likely using blend modes.  

Iguana tattoo-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Now I can see what people are doing when they color animals or other objects, they are likely using blend modes.  

Yes, Blend modes are great for coloring surfaces where you want to keep the texture as is.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Cristina said:

Susan, I like the Custom Label very much. Very creative! I am sure I am going to copy your idea in the future!?

Thank you Cristina.  I does look much better apart than together.  Here's one that I clicked the wrong button when I was mirroring (or flipping? the other half) and I liked the shape.  it's the same starting label shape but me clicking the wrong button and ending up with a happy accident.

LAB 6-8 custom labell 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thank you Cristina.  I does look much better apart than together.  Here's one that I clicked the wrong button when I was mirroring (or flipping? the other half) and I liked the shape.  it's the same starting label shape but me clicking the wrong button and ending up with a happy accident.

Susan, It's so good when we have a happy accident, isn't it?

So many times, I struggled to get something I liked, so I stopped creating layouts...   I haven't done it anymore, as whatever I'd created was not to my liking...   Very slowly, I am back to working with them...  The Build-A-Kit Workshop helped during the no-creativity layout phase.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Cristina said:

Susan, It's so good when we have a happy accident, isn't it?

So many times, I struggled to get something I liked, so I stopped creating layouts...   I haven't done it anymore, as whatever I'd created was not to my liking...   Very slowly, I am back to working with them...  The Build-A-Kit Workshop helped during the no-creativity layout phase.

Cristina, I'm so glad you are back at it.  I know about a creative slump.  It is my norm to start any creative project and go through phases of liking and hating it.  Often having to set it aside for days (months and years too).  it's frustrating to sit down to create and there is nothing.  When I do photography (if I'n not in a current project) it takes me a while shooting to get warmed up.  My creative juices arent like tap I can just turn on, more like a slow leak that takes time to become a bigger leak.  Often doing something as far removed from photography and layouts gives me inspiration...as does the campus (in a big way). 

Want some really cool ways to make paper, I just watched the master class A Beautiful Mess.  It's really good and it just has you playing around with effects/techniques.  I highly recommend it. Sometimes creating with nothing in mind is a good place to get inspired

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 3

59 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Cristina, I'm so glad you are back at it.  I know about a creative slump... 

Want some really cool ways to make paper, I just watched the master class A Beautiful Mess.  It's really good and it just has you playing around with effects/techniques.  I highly recommend it. Sometimes creating with nothing in mind is a good place to get inspired

Thank you, Susan. ❤️ And I agree...   After a while, I realized there was no point to keep trying; I had to give it a break...  As it was not working for me with layouts, I decided to do the Scripting Course, which lasts about 5 months (being 2 classes a week... I like the slow pace), and recently the Build-A-Kit Workshop... I am not saying I am back, but I am up to try it again.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Cristina said:

Thank you, Susan. ❤️ And I agree...   After a while, I realized there was no point to keep trying; I had to give it a break...  As it was not working for me with layouts, I decided to do the Scripting Course, which lasts about 5 months (being 2 classes a week... I like the slow pace), and recently the Build-A-Kit Workshop... I am not saying I am back, but I am up to try it again.

It's all about baby steps and keeping it simple...at least that's what I tell myself.  and walking away when you need to, because sometimes that's just what you need.  With PSP and the Campus you always have a creative home to come back to. 

• Love 1

I combined Carole's flowery spring frame with the flora font, added my great-grand Magic with a little linoleum as a background and two corner brushes and came up with this. I sort of thought the font would look a little puffy on its own but mine didn't so I helped it along with one of our title lessons from March. 

MAGIC IN THE SPRING_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 7

38 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I combined Carole's flowery spring frame with the flora font, added my great-grand Magic with a little linoleum as a background and two corner brushes and came up with this. I sort of thought the font would look a little puffy on its own but mine didn't so I helped it along with one of our title lessons from March. 

MAGIC IN THE SPRING_600.jpg

That's so perfect and precious.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cristina said:

Cristina good to hear that you are on your way back and I think all of us have encountered those dreadful moments or months when you can't make anything decent how hard you may try. Take your time!!!

• Love 1

Thank you, Corrie! ❤️    I think we all have ups and downs, which also applies to creativity... Just mine lack of it is taking too long for my taste. ?... At least in the meantime, I was doing something I enjoyed very much: Scripting Course and Build-A-Kit Workshop. Good that Carole has something for everybody!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• 3 weeks later...