Newsletter chichat - March 14

Cassel

I don't do much crafting any more because the ones I used to do hurt my hands now.  I have done many crafts over the years from Tatting and Crocheting, to Leather Tooling.  I do still pick up my Tatting shuttle now and then and make something small.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Yes, I've always loved crafting.  Knitting, crocheting, macrame, candle making, string art, cookie decorating, cake decorating, chocolate molds, and of course digital scrapbooking!  I would really like to learn to paint this year.  I tried it once before and would like to do more.  So many things to do!  I like to search our local Goodwill store for craft supplies!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Over the years I have tried many crafts. Even as a child I was creating things from card, paper, paint etc. I have done embroidery, knitting, crochet, pottery, jewellery.  (Won a crochet competition which was for a knitting & crochet magazine and my design was published. 

I tried to encourage my daughter to be interested in crafts when she was younger, but she was more interested in sport. She did enjoy sketching now and then. A few years back she started doing Crochet, and she has made a number of things. I got my crochet hooks out, and realised it had been so long since I last did any crochet that I had forgotten some of the stitches!!  Since then it has been Scrapbooking, Digital Art, Photography, and composites.  

UPDATE I have added Photos of an embroidery I created, with crochet back.

Img_RS.jpg

Img_RS1.jpg

Edited by Lyn Lou
typo
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I've played with many different crafts over the years. I started with sewing my own clothes from paper patterns (Simplicity, etc) mainly because I was so skinny nothing fit from the store. I made clothes for my daughters when they were small, also. My Mom introduced me to crochet. She did some beautiful work including a large white afghan (machine wash and dry) that I still use. It's so heavy, it could qualify as a "heavy blanket" that is all the rage now. I also tried knitting. I was always interested in art, so I sketched and did some paint-by-numbers items. I got into embroidery and my cousin, Linda from Cohoes, NY, and I would compete to see who could finish their project faster! ? (I think it was a sampler featuring the Lord's Prayer.) I was never very good at photography and couldn't afford a good camera. I borrowed my husband's camera when I took a photography class in college and traveled my area shooting historic scenes in black and white and developing them in our lab. That was fun. I transitioned naturally to computer graphics because I thought myself rather "ham-handed" with supplies IRL. I was never much good at coding as I couldn't remember anything without the book open on my lap. My best talent was using color as it was always very important to me, from clothes to home decor. I also like to cook but that was in the past when I at least had more than one to cook for. Most of my hobbies involved animals: dogs, cats, tropical fish and snakes. I also advocate for wild animals, especially Big Cats, and for a stop to "cub petting" and "animal tourism."

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I have also love to craft. sewing, knitting, crochet, bobbin lace, tatting, cutting and sticking, cards etc. Not enough time in the day for many but I do make mini scrapbooks and other 3d card/paper projects. I make all the books from scratch, including the flowers. i have attached a photo of some I had done mainly during lock down which really helped with the isolation period.

Mini Scrapbooks-ResizedSGH-31-03-2022.jpg

• Like 1
  • WOW 3
  • Love 2

I've done many different crafts over the years. From embroidery to counted cross stitch to plastic canvas creations and latch hook rugs. I was a very good customer of Herrschner's craft catalog back in the 80's. I did paint-by-number kits and those makit and bakit kits of ornaments and suncatchers.  Always had something I was working on in the evenings while watching TV. Then there is the scrapbooking, both traditional (paper) and digital. The 2 crafts I did the most of was the counted cross stitch and scrapbooking. 

Here are 2 layouts I did in January for a challenge elsewhere that were about hobbies over the years. 

And, I made my own little plastic canvas element from the tutorial here for the first layout.

2023 FM Hobbies A.jpg

2023 FM Hobbies B.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I have always loved crafting and in my younger years I did lots of craft shows selling mostly Christmas ornaments, small gifts, etc. made with just about anything from painting wood to sewing.  As I got older and unable to do the shows any longer, I switched to digital crafting.  I had a friend that had a small business making cookie mixes in quart jars and she ask if I could design some labels and tags for her jars.....so that was my start into digital crafting.  Now I design and sell these jar kits, candy bar wrappers, cards and lots more.  But it is more about "creating" rather than making money.  I started out designing with PSP 7 and had many other versions over the past 10-15 years up to PSP 2023.   I recently joined Diamond and am learning so many new ways to do things that I never knew existed.....I wish I had joined sooner but thought the classes were more about scrapbooking but there is so much more!

• Like 6

I don't do much crafting. But when the time comes (mostly near the end of october) I do craft my own christmas cards. I have a lot of stuff to do so. It costs me two hours to craft two christmas cards (because I''ve to cut very small pieces for my cards) but I love it and it's worth it.

I'll look for one of my christmas card to post here.

Have a lovely and pleasant day!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I've done a good bit of crafting through the years. Cross stitch, embroidery, woodworking, gag gifts, stenciling...and the list goes on. When my church was doing craft bazaars I enjoyed the projects where several people worked on the same project. One would cut, one would sand, one would base coat, and one would decorate...then usually, someone sealed the project. I must have build 40 or 50 butterfly houses...then someone else completed the other steps.

• Like 3

I have done a lot of crafting over the years. Sewing clothes for me and the children, knitting, embroidery, lace making, making cards  with different paper techniques. But not any longer now because my hands and eyes don't cooperate any more! Therefore I switched many years ago to making my cards digital. Photography is and has always been a part of my life and now I can combine photography  and making cards. Since I stumbled upon the Scrapbook Campus I have made a couple of printed books and photo albums with what I leaned, like the Alphabet Challenge of last year.

• Like 2

I have knitted and crocheted a lot. My grandmother taught me to knit and crochet when I was very small. I've always loved doing that. Sewing, cross stitching, I did too, but not very much.
Due to osteoarthritis and osteoporosis I do that less now, but I always have a knitting or crochet project that I continue to work on now and then.
In the meantime I like to be busy on the PC, and I really enjoy being a member of the scrapbook campus. That's what I do most of the time in my free time.
Of course walking with my dog is very important, and then I always have my camera with me, or I use my smartphone. I can then use those photos in the scrapbook campus. Photography (hobby) is also something I have been doing for a long time.

• Like 1

Is there a difference between craft and hobby's/hobbies? When I translated it, it came out more as an "oldfashioned" occupation like furniture making or goldsmith ?

Hobbies? Too many! Since my childhood years I always made things with paper, fabric (dressing my barbie doll) , made dolls with cast and dress them in oldfashioned costumes etc etc.

Embroidery, card making, jigsaw puzzles and later, when the computer came in our lives, I made video's about our holidays, building websites etc etc. And since a year I have a Cricut cutting machine, very addictive!! And of course PSP ?

Sometimes I wish there were more hours in a day! ?

Edited by MoniqueN.

2 hours ago, Marie-Claire said:

I have knitted and crocheted a lot. My grandmother taught me to knit and crochet when I was very small. I've always loved doing that. Sewing, cross stitching, I did too, but not very much.
Due to osteoarthritis and osteoporosis I do that less now, but I always have a knitting or crochet project that I continue to work on now and then.
In the meantime I like to be busy on the PC, and I really enjoy being a member of the scrapbook campus. That's what I do most of the time in my free time.
Of course walking with my dog is very important, and then I always have my camera with me, or I use my smartphone. I can then use those photos in the scrapbook campus. Photography (hobby) is also something I have been doing for a long time.

osteoporosis.........me too........found out after I broke my upperarm and Tibia Plateau (scheenbeen plateau) within 4 months. ?

Crafts can be hobbies and hobbies can be crafts. But I have had hobbies over the years that don't fall into the craft category. One being genealogy research. Reading being another. And, then there are the jigsaw puzzles I do every December. Those are hobbies but definitely not crafty!

• Like 1