Double Page Workshop 2023

Cassel

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I was so busy looking at all the cool layouts that I forgot to post mine.

Here is Lesson 4.  I used Amerio for the font and grunged it some more with the eraser tool and lowered the opacity slightly.  I had to composite two of the wood slat papers together.  It had on each side of the paper,  ends of the wood with nails, which would had both sides wit the nails smack in the middle of the layout.  So selected the middle of one and pasted over the middle portion and lined it up.  I cold see a line on one side so I used the eraser tool large and very soft with very low opacity and and erased over the line and it disappeared.  Yay, nice to have success.  More from my cousins farm, me wandering around shooting whatever caught my eye.  Coffee stains are from a brush set (or two) at Digital Scrapbook.

DPWS-Lesson 4-A Day at the Farm-600.jpg

Susan very nice use of your always lovely photos!

• Love 3

Day 5: I don't have a panoramic photo so I used the same trick as in the lesson. I choose a very wide photo of the mountains which was taken on a very clear day with fantastic views all around. The mountain panorama on one side and a view of the lakes on the other. I tried several colors, patterns and gradients for the background but settled for this one made from the 2 colors of the signpost. The fonts are Dreamy Snowland and Fairy Tales. The cowbells and the ice axe were made for another layout.

Double Page 5-600.jpg

• Love 12

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Susan very nice use of your always lovely photos!

Thank you so much Corrie.  Your mountain layout is really amazing.  You live and visit the most picturesque places and your photo's are a delight to look at.  Expecially your flower photo's.  I've being so inspired by everyone in the campus (their design sense and their photography) that it has rekindled my love of photography.  

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Gerry Landreth said:

Day 6. Every time I had a follow-up visit with the surgeon, someone would always ask about Rudy. How's Rudy? Or where's Rudy? Followed snickers.

I added an overlay over the grunge to give it an aged paper look.

GNL-DoublePage-06-FULL-1200.jpg

GNL-DoublePage-06-BOOK-1200.jpg

This is so swesome.  

Lesson 5: The only panorama that I had was the last Iceland template that I made. I used it as a faded background, but it is much better full color. I also had to reuse some of the photos since he didn't send me a whole lot. The Title font is Guinness Stout, and the lower font is Gill Sans since it had the first letter its character shapes. The background is the ice texture that I made in Filter Forge. The icicles were also made in FF. I used the cass-shadows script that I just downloaded today. I am not sure if I used it correctly, but it looked ok to me.

BTW, Happy Birthday, Carole. I celebrated with a bunch of new scripts.

finishedmerged.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 12

8 hours ago, Gerry Landreth said:

I lived in the historic district of Salem for many years. Spring was spectacular on the North Shore.

I live on the other end of the state, over near Springfield. I would love to move to the coast but my husband prefers a more "rural" area.

Happy Birthday Carole.  I celebrated a little early as I was up late last night(or rather early this morning).  I enjoyed your birthday very much, thanks for inviting me.? 

Lesson 5.  I had no panoramas that I could find and my photos when enlarged covered all the 3600 x 7200 so I ended up cutting off the bottom of the wall unit and putting in the gradient.  Which weirdly looks the same color as the lights that shine from under the upper part of the wall unit.  I like the style of this layout, at least the ones everyone else did, but this is not my greatest work.  This was a fail, but I loved the tutorial on the text, converting to curves and character shapes.  that has a real nice look as it uses the whole gradient in one letter.  

This is a wall unit (teak-Danish) that my uncle owned and I inherited.  I decorate it differently each year at Christmas.  Mostly this is where my old camera collection lives.  It's the 60's-70's style I love.  The fonts are DDCooldness and Amoreta from Creative Fabrica.  

DPWS Lesson 5-The Wall Unit-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 12

@Connie Collier It is ok to choose not to have shadows when it makes sense and often, the only way to know is to try. You tried, and you saw you didn't like it, so you made the conscious decision. Who knows if, on a different project, you might want to try different settings for the shadows and then like the result?

@Anja Pelzer Very interesting shapes too. Those diamonds definitely stand out.

@kasany On your project with a photo overlapping both pages, I suspect that you stretched the photo vertically to make it fit the space available. That is distorting the photo. Can you add that same photo and adjust the height to fit, but let the width extend where it may, by using only a corner handle to resize with the Pick tool. That way, you can have part of the photo under the smaller ones, without being distorted. For the Winter Walk, I love the background you used!

@Ann SeeberI also have the Merlin app and love it, however, it we don't seem to have that many different birds around here. Maybe 5 or 6 at the most (or I am not listening at the right time). You know, that drive-in layout could be enlarged and printed as a poster and displayed at the drive-in!

@Susan Ewartthe choice of colors for that silos layout is stunning as the yellow contrasts well with the blue and both emphasize the other. The Day at the park layout is great! Your grungy effect on the text is very well executed! It really looks like pyrography! You used the same trick I used with a "regular" photo cropped to make it look panoramic! That is just another tool in your box!

@Marie-Claire I don't tend to have many panoramic photos either, but since double-pages are a great way to showcase them when we have some, I had no choice than have a lesson on it. And using photos from free resources it totally ok; is that what they want you to do with those photos??

@Donna SilliaThe beveled letters are ok if you want to give them that look. Sometimes, it depends on the color, the border, the background, etc. I tend to use more shadows than bevels but I am certainly not opposed to bevels! Did you also add a shadow to the letters? I hope you had fun with the scripts.

@Corrie KinkelThe background for those flowers works very well. I almost envision those flowers growing on the rocks! As for the panoramic photo, I would not have known it was not one if you hadn't mentioned it!

@Louyse ToupinGreat start with your first double page. I am wondering if some photos have been distorted. Did you try to fit them in the spaces? Since you are using the space as a mask, it is ok to only showcase what is visible in the mask and not try to fit it in the space. On your second page, you have also squeezed the images to fit the space. HERE is an article on resizing images without distorting them.

@Gerry LandrethAs long as you save a .pspimage version of your project, you can certainly take a break when needed.

@Lesley Maple Did you take those photos just for the layout? Are there already that many flowers out?

If you have not posted yet, don't be shy. And if you feel you are behind, don't worry. The tutorials will all be available for another week, so you will have some time to catch up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Connie Collier It is ok to choose not to have shadows when it makes sense and often, the only way to know is to try. You tried, and you saw you didn't like it, so you made the conscious decision. Who knows if, on a different project, you might want to try different settings for the shadows and then like the result?

@kasany On your project with a photo overlapping both pages, I suspect that you stretched the photo vertically to make it fit the space available. That is distorting the photo. Can you add that same photo and adjust the height to fit, but let the width extend where it may, by using only a corner handle to resize with the Pick tool. That way, you can have part of the photo under the smaller ones, without being distorted. For the Winter Walk, I love the background you used!

@Ann SeeberI also have the Merlin app and love it, however, it we don't seem to have that many different birds around here. Maybe 5 or 6 at the most (or I am not listening at the right time). You know, that drive-in layout could be enlarged and printed as a poster and displayed at the drive-in!

@Susan Ewartthe choice of colors for that silos layout is stunning as the yellow contrasts well with the blue and both emphasize the other. The Day at the park layout is great! Your grungy effect on the text is very well executed! It really looks like pyrography! You used the same trick I used with a "regular" photo cropped to make it look panoramic! That is just another tool in your box!

@Marie-Claire I don't tend to have many panoramic photos either, but since double-pages are a great way to showcase them when we have some, I had no choice than have a lesson on it. And using photos from free resources it totally ok; is that what they want you to do with those photos??

@Donna SilliaThe beveled letters are ok if you want to give them that look. Sometimes, it depends on the color, the border, the background, etc. I tend to use more shadows than bevels but I am certainly not opposed to bevels! Did you also add a shadow to the letters? I hope you had fun with the scripts.

@Corrie KinkelThe background for those flowers works very well. I almost envision those flowers growing on the rocks! As for the panoramic photo, I would not have known it was not one if you hadn't mentioned it!

@Louyse ToupinGreat start with your first double page. I am wondering if some photos have been distorted. Did you try to fit them in the spaces? Since you are using the space as a mask, it is ok to only showcase what is visible in the mask and not try to fit it in the space. On your second page, you have also squeezed the images to fit the space. HERE is an article on resizing images without distorting them.

@Gerry LandrethAs long as you save a .pspimage version of your project, you can certainly take a break when needed.

@Lesley Maple Did you take those photos just for the layout? Are there already that many flowers out?

If you have not posted yet, don't be shy. And if you feel you are behind, don't worry. The tutorials will all be available for another week, so you will have some time to catch up.

Thank you so much Carole.  I really enjoyed Lesson 3 and like the look of that type of layout.  

• Like 3

My 5 and 6 lesson in one double pic. I've looked for the right 32bit ICE for long time. I found a .zip file which contains 32bit and 64bit. I'll send it to Carole, if she want to.

MY 5&6 LESSONS : An image on the top is a result of ICE's action. ICE used two images (presented on the bottom)

L5and6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 5

16 hours ago, Gerry Landreth said:

Day 6. Every time I had a follow-up visit with the surgeon, someone would always ask about Rudy. How's Rudy? Or where's Rudy? Followed snickers.

I added an overlay over the grunge to give it an aged paper look.

GNL-DoublePage-06-FULL-1200.jpg

GNL-DoublePage-06-BOOK-1200.jpg

I agree with Susan, this is so beautiful

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cassel said:

Carole, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by your question ? The big photo is a free desktop wallpaper

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marie-Claire said:

Carole, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by your question ? The big photo is a free desktop wallpaper

I made an error in phrasing. It should have been "Isn't that what they want you to do with these photos?" meaning, that IS exactly what you should use those free resources for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cassel said:

I made an error in phrasing. It should have been "Isn't that what they want you to do with these photos?" meaning, that IS exactly what you should use those free resources for.

ok :-), I thought so, but with the difference of language, I wanted to be sure ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cassel said:

Carole, I used both bevel and shadows on the Title because it looked so flat without it. I used a layer style bevel since I could control the visibility of the texture better. I love the shadow script although I had to test it a few times, and the alpha separator script is one of my favorites now.

33 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love this.  I bought it too!  Cant wait to use it.

I tried it out on almost all of my double page lessons. I had layouts that were 7200 wide and had to split them but soon realized I also had to SAVE the new half-versions or the script would fail. I managed to Open Book 4 of the 6 lessons. #5 was not doable because the title would split. Here's #3 which I wasn't sure about because it wasn't designed for two halves but it looks fine to me...

TEA GARDEN-SAN FRAN 2008 OPEN BOOK_1200.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 5

18 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I tried it out on almost all of my double page lessons. I had layouts that were 7200 wide and had to split them but soon realized I also had to SAVE the new half-versions or the script would fail. I managed to Open Book 4 of the 6 lessons. #5 was not doable because the title would split. Here's #3 which I wasn't sure about because it wasn't designed for two halves but it looks fine to me...

TEA GARDEN-SAN FRAN 2008 OPEN BOOK_1200.jpg

It looks great to me.  thanks for the infor about splitting and saving each half.  Did you get to choose the cover color too?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

It looks great to me.  thanks for the infor about splitting and saving each half.  Did you get to choose the cover color too?

Yes, the cover color is a choice at the end. I liked how the red picked up the pagoda color. ? I got in the habit of using gradients, mostly. And, I experimented with half-sized sheets (3600x1800) and they worked just fine using category #1. I'm also learning the hard way not to crop too close at the bottom or I lose some shadowing.

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Yes, the cover color is a choice at the end. I liked how the red picked up the pagoda color. ? I got in the habit of using gradients, mostly. And, I experimented with half-sized sheets (3600x1800) and they worked just fine using category #1. I'm also learning the hard way not to crop too close at the bottom or I lose some shadowing.

Good tips, thank you.

• Like 2