Double Page Workshop 2023

Cassel

15 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Here's my Day 2 - My fishy ??

FISH-DOUBLE_1200.jpg

What beautiful colors.  Nature is amazing and super creative dont you think?  Fish are so relaxing to watch.  I didnt know they are intelligent or social.  Are they from the carp family.  I do know those are social even with people.  Or is it they just know who feeds them....yeesh, they are "cats" of the water worlds.

• Love 4

Day 3: I continue with my theme and the photos are from 2004. I'm very sorry to have to tell that the cave inside the glacier with its sculptures is no longer excisting due to the fact that all the glaciers in the Alps are rapidly declining. You can see climate change happening right in front of you. The font is Imprint MT Shadow.

Double Page 3-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 8

Day 2: The pictures are from my grandsons who live in Las Vegas and frequently hike, taking their dogs with them (and sometimes a girlfriend). The background and frame are from my kit. The font is an open font license called Centaury Display. I filled the Title with some help from Carole using a rust texture in my pattern files and outlined with a green grass texture. I finally figured out how to combine the two images and how to eliminate the line between the plaids thanks to the Blending Pictures Master Class. My grandsons are also trained to send me interesting pictures.

combinedpages.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 9

I used another one of the templates from Yin Designs. The Clip-to-It script is an indispensable tool when working on a layout like this.

My parents were armchair birdwatchers. The feeder was strategically placed where it could be seen through the sliding glass door, and the tattered reference books were nearby in case an interloper flew in for a snack.

When I moved back to Alabama, I carried on the tradition. Several feeders were strategically placed where we could enjoy the birds when the dining table. Mother even dragged out the 20-year-old reference books when needed.  

GNL-DoublePage-04-1200.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 8

1 hour ago, Gerry Landreth said:

I used another one of the templates from Yin Designs. The Clip-to-It script is an indispensable tool when working on a layout like this.

My parents were armchair birdwatchers. The feeder was strategically placed where it could be seen through the sliding glass door, and the tattered reference books were nearby in case an interloper flew in for a snack.

When I moved back to Alabama, I carried on the tradition. Several feeders were strategically placed where we could enjoy the birds when the dining table. Mother even dragged out the 20-year-old reference books when needed.  

GNL-DoublePage-04-1200.jpg

This is a beautiful layout Gerry!  Beautiful photography.

Lesson 2 page 1

I didnt do this as the double page as the background on both sides are slightly different color.  I need to work on it more and blend the edge of the one into the other.  Sigh.  I found this type hard to fit images into.  If I had gotten it together I'd have done the abstracts like I had hoped to do.  they are good with long rectangles.  I do like very much what others have done.  So many wonderful places people have been.  The layouts are beautiful.

DPWS-Lesson 2-pg 1 Spider Squirrel-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Here is Lesson 2 page 2.  .  The back ground photos are Spider Squirrel and her baby, whom she had brought out to show my husband.  Momma is the one with the almost hairless tail.  Mother squirrels will pull their own hair out to line the den for their babies.  BEST. MOTHER. EVER. Being the lady she was, she took time to stay grounded (on our back step) andliked to visit the spa for a much needed clean up.  She had two litters a year.  All the pictures in the slats are of her in the summer.  the background photos are early spring.  I did a bad extraction of the baby on the bottom left background of this page.  I added it because he/she was looking right at me.  (side note: that awful green in some of the shots is the patio slabs the previous owners painted.  It's the most sickly color...but it's way down the to-do list.  

DPWS-Lesson 2-pg 2 Spider Squirrel-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 8

I finally gave up with trying to remove the line. The mask had created some spots where the canvas could be seen, so I made a new layer underneath which I matched to the gray of the mountains. The pictures are from my grandson who visited Iceland in 2019. The masks are from preset shapes. The font is Berlin Sans FB and filled with an ice texture that I made with Filter Forge.

FINAL.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 8

@kasany That is a nice background you used! You might want to consider adding some shadows on your photos to give more 3D effect, especially with that textured background.

@Gerry Landreth Oh I see. When you mentioned the Frame, I thought you were referring to the Frame tool and not the Picture Frame. I misled myself! Those brush strokes used as masks are great. I find they are a great way to have different shapes for masks. Good job. By the way, you might want to show a picture of that 20-year old book to add to your bird pages!

@Sharla You found some great photos to display. Yes, it is a bit challenging to find something for that shape, but surprisingly, many photos can still be used in that shape. It is just a creative way to crop.

@Corrie Kinkel I can see that your photos are well-suited for horizontal slats. Those photos of the cave are going to be very meaningful for the next generation as they won't be able to see them in person!

@Susan Ewart I certainly would not have considered those as bad photos, AT ALL!!! It is so fun to display them. I can almost imagine the scene in front of me! You found creative ways to use the vertical slats. When we don't see the original image, we don't know what you cropped out and only see what you show, and the result is great!

@Donna Sillia I see some bevel on some images, but I think that the multiple photos could use some shadows to make them stand out. And the embellishments could probably use larger shadows too as they are obviously thicker. You trained your relatives very well!!! And the results are stunning! They must be happy to see the layouts you make once they are done! For the line between the two, you might want to stretch one, and then use a feathered selection. Did you try that?

@Marie-Claire It is a great way to use a large photo when you merge the different segments into a larger mask. Another creative use!

@Ann Seeber Interesting to see how you used the principle of REPETITION without maybe realizing it (check the blog post HERE).

@Connie Collier Those hexagons make a stunning display!!! I personally might have tried to add shadows but I think that the page without shadows still works very well.

Keep them coming!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@kasany That is a nice background you used! You might want to consider adding some shadows on your photos to give more 3D effect, especially with that textured background.

@Gerry Landreth Oh I see. When you mentioned the Frame, I thought you were referring to the Frame tool and not the Picture Frame. I misled myself! Those brush strokes used as masks are great. I find they are a great way to have different shapes for masks. Good job. By the way, you might want to show a picture of that 20-year old book to add to your bird pages!

@Sharla You found some great photos to display. Yes, it is a bit challenging to find something for that shape, but surprisingly, many photos can still be used in that shape. It is just a creative way to crop.

@Corrie Kinkel I can see that your photos are well-suited for horizontal slats. Those photos of the cave are going to be very meaningful for the next generation as they won't be able to see them in person!

@Susan Ewart I certainly would not have considered those as bad photos, AT ALL!!! It is so fun to display them. I can almost imagine the scene in front of me! You found creative ways to use the vertical slats. When we don't see the original image, we don't know what you cropped out and only see what you show, and the result is great!

@Donna Sillia I see some bevel on some images, but I think that the multiple photos could use some shadows to make them stand out. And the embellishments could probably use larger shadows too as they are obviously thicker. You trained your relatives very well!!! And the results are stunning! They must be happy to see the layouts you make once they are done! For the line between the two, you might want to stretch one, and then use a feathered selection. Did you try that?

@Marie-Claire It is a great way to use a large photo when you merge the different segments into a larger mask. Another creative use!

@Ann Seeber Interesting to see how you used the principle of REPETITION without maybe realizing it (check the blog post HERE).

@Connie Collier Those hexagons make a stunning display!!! I personally might have tried to add shadows but I think that the page without shadows still works very well.

Keep them coming!!

Carole, on Lesson 1, I forgot to add the shadows on the pictures. I will redo them tomorrow and use your suggestion regarding the line and increasing the shadows on the embellishments. I really would like to send the layout to my daughter. Thank you for your assistance.