Double Page Workshop 2023

Cassel

On 4/18/2023 at 2:13 AM, Gerry Landreth said:

I've done a couple of picture books, and Carole's Open Book script is an excellent tool for previewing the layout. 

NOTE: The blurb may be hard to read: "The Easter Egg Hunt is proof that children can find something if they really want to."

GNL-DoublePage-01-OpenBook-600.jpg

Nice to see the result of the script in this way.
This is really nice.
Thank you Gerry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Hank Sobah That is a very colorful double-page with the Moraine State Park. It is great to envision everything happening in the park.

@Nancy McNamara Will we still be able to see some projects from you? I hope so!

@Anja Pelzer Using text, and other elements are great ways to fill that space. With two pages, you have more room to showcase more photos and stories.

@Gerry Landreth Of course, you can spread the elements to cover more space. You can also enlarge them. Remember that the template was just a starting point. And using the open book is a great idea to display two pages! For the second project, if you used the Frame tool, the proportions should not be affected. I am curious to know how you got such an irregular edge on the frames. I thought it was only working with regular edges/shapes. Very creative!

@Lesley Maple I think you will convince me to start pet sitting!!! That is such a fun project and I can see how the pet parents would love that!

@Connie Collier That is a great start for your project. You can always add a second page later, when more photos come, or if you want to add a story to the other page. And yes, practice and repetition will be common in this workshop.

@kasany I am a bit curious: did you ride that 20 km? And what about those indoor photos? Were they are specific stops along the way or at the end of the ride?

@Marie-Claire I see you are using some velum on your page. That is interesting as it lets the viewer see the background image while still making a definition for the text areas.

@Corrie Kinkel You can certainly change the format of the templates. They are just starting points!

@Sharla Those are beautiful photos!! Well showcased.

@Ann SeeberCombining adjacent photo spots for a larger photo is always fun to do as it gives so much more flexibility!

For those who have not posted yet, we are curious. Show us your projects, even if they are still a work in progress.

As I wrote. He rode only 20 km by bike to be in Nieborów where he was visiting a palace and its saw park around it. OUTSIDE and INSIDE are parts of my double page BY BIKE.

4 hours ago, Sharla said:

My Day 1 double page. The ruins of the first Cistercian monastery in the north of England, founded in 1132. Near Helmsley in North Yorkshire. The quote says:  “Everywhere peace, everywhere serenity and a marvellous freedom from the tumult of the world.”   St Aelred, 12th century Abbot of Rievaulx

Page1 600.jpg

Page 2  600.jpg

Sharla very nice to see the ruins of the Abbey. A very long time ago I visited there too and it is a magical place. I only have photos on paper in an album, at that point in time we didn't have digital photography at all.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Hank Sobah That is a very colorful double-page with the Moraine State Park. It is great to envision everything happening in the park.

@Nancy McNamara Will we still be able to see some projects from you? I hope so!

@Anja Pelzer Using text, and other elements are great ways to fill that space. With two pages, you have more room to showcase more photos and stories.

@Gerry Landreth Of course, you can spread the elements to cover more space. You can also enlarge them. Remember that the template was just a starting point. And using the open book is a great idea to display two pages! For the second project, if you used the Frame tool, the proportions should not be affected. I am curious to know how you got such an irregular edge on the frames. I thought it was only working with regular edges/shapes. Very creative!

@Lesley Maple I think you will convince me to start pet sitting!!! That is such a fun project and I can see how the pet parents would love that!

@Connie Collier That is a great start for your project. You can always add a second page later, when more photos come, or if you want to add a story to the other page. And yes, practice and repetition will be common in this workshop.

@kasany I am a bit curious: did you ride that 20 km? And what about those indoor photos? Were they are specific stops along the way or at the end of the ride?

@Marie-Claire I see you are using some velum on your page. That is interesting as it lets the viewer see the background image while still making a definition for the text areas.

@Corrie Kinkel You can certainly change the format of the templates. They are just starting points!

@Sharla Those are beautiful photos!! Well showcased.

@Ann SeeberCombining adjacent photo spots for a larger photo is always fun to do as it gives so much more flexibility!

For those who have not posted yet, we are curious. Show us your projects, even if they are still a work in progress.

Carole - The black frame for Day 2 was created using IMAGE/PICTURE FRAME. The one I used is square, which is why the sides look a bit thick, and the top/bottom look stretched.

On the layout, I used a brush set called Paint Strokes by Resource Boy (don't remember where I got it.) I used them as masks. 

• Like 1

Day 2: I used the slats horizontally because that fitted my photos better and I made the paper with the little Edelweiss flowers to go with my theme. All the photos are mine except the one with the cars in bad weather, that one came from the internet (no name mentioned). The background paper is made by using an overlay with the blendmode Color. Font is Joaquin Regular, a freebie by Creative Fabrica. 

Double Page 2a-600.jpg

Double Page 2b-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 9

Finally got to Lesson 1.  As I am culling photos to make room on the HD I came across these Bohemian Waxwings.  They are described as wandering vagabonds by google.  Really they are a rowdy bunch of dunkards!  They feast on the Mountain Ash tree in our yard and the neighbourhood.  These images were very bad; very dark and very soft/grainy.  I was about to delete the lot when I thought I'd see what PSP can do.  Now I will have the memory preserved even if I delete the bad photos.  Font is Gill Sans Ultra Bold, a windows font that is a favorite of mine.  I used the magic want to select the mask groups I had made and  on the second to bottom layer (I think it's the black layer in the psd file) it the delete key.  Ending up with a frame that I moved above all the mask groups and put an inner bevel on it (hard to see because it's a dark frame).  Used a wood grain texture (texture effects>texture>wood grain-at about 400 or 600).  Bevel on the title as well.  Loved this template, it's very versatile.  I really enjoyed and was motivated by the layouts from everyone so far. 

Here's page 1

DPWS-Lesson 1-Waxwings-pg1-600 .jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 6

I forgot to add this.  When I'm using the drop shadow I'm not getting a preview.  Is there  setting that I might have unchecked to not be getting a preview.  I just starting using PSP 2023 and this is the first layout from it.  I just turned on the pink flower to check an existing layer.  but no previews for the frame layer (that I had beveled).  the inner bevel showed previews, just the drop shadow wasnt showing it.

Drop shadow missing preview.JPG

Edited by Susan Ewart
added more info

Here is my first double page as I am running behind. They are pictures of that my daughter sent me after her vacation at St. Simons Island. I have her trained to take pictures for my projects. The first page is of the sea and the second is the lighthouse and her climbing and descending the stairs. Two of the shells and the seahorse are downloads from DigitalScrappers. Two are from Filter Forge, and the rest are mine extracted from shells collected by my grandson in Thailand. The font is from my kit with changes to the stroke and fill to a plaid that is also in my kit. The papers are my shimmer papers. I had to edit to change the size of the pages.

Seaside.jpg

lighthouse.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
  • Like 2
  • Love 8

5 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I forgot to add this.  When I'm using the drop shadow I'm not getting a preview.  Is there  setting that I might have unchecked to not be getting a preview.  I just starting using PSP 2023 and this is the first layout from it. 

Click on the tiny triangle arrow on the left side of the word Preview on top.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

Click on the tiny triangle arrow on the left side of the word Preview on top.

Oh my gosh!  so simple.  Thank you.  I was expecting it to have a box like the preview on image box.  It is happy now and altough it's a small thing, I surely wont forget it.  

Edited by Susan Ewart

2 hours ago, Donna Sillia said:

Here is my first double page as I am running behind. They are pictures of that my daughter sent me after her vacation at St. Simons Island. I have her trained to take pictures for my projects. The first page is of the sea and the second is the lighthouse and her climbing and descending the stairs. Two of the shells and the seahorse are downloads from DigitalScrappers. Two are from Filter Forge, and the rest are mine extracted from shells collected by my grandson in Thailand. The font is from my kit with changes to the stroke and fill to a plaid that is also in my kit. The papers are my shimmer papers. I had to edit to change the size of the pages.

Seaside.jpg

lighthouse.jpg

Beautiful Donna.  I see that lovely shimmer paper behind, it looks great. Great photos, you trained your daughter well.