Text Workshop 2023

Cassel

47 minutes ago, Anne Lamp said:

As I said before, I did not do a page for each day, but here are the Titles I created to practice each technique.  If I finish any more pages I might still post some if I am happy with them.

Text workshop titles 1 TO 7.jpg

ok, you got me laughing at #4 - more like Text on a Peak! LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Here's my final project for the Text Workshop. A bit of a story. When I was in 7th grade my parents had bought their annual Irish Sweepstakes ticket and, for once, they won! The way it worked, thousands of people bought tickets and the hospital (charity behind the game) committee in Ireland drew a ticket for each horse in the Grand National race. If you we assigned a horse you automatically won money, and of course, if your horse won, you got more. So, our ticket was assigned but did not win the race. I think my folks got about $1000 which, in 1954, was enough for a new car! (First new car they ever had.) It was a fun time! My font is Bungee Inline. The photo corners are from my own kit. I made the plaid from the horse photo colors. Cassel's curved photo script on the ticket. Interesting techniques using vector texts as shapes. 

IRISH SWEEPSTAKES_600.jpg

• Like 3
  • WOW 2
  • Love 8

Day 7

I don't think I will use this feature much, or only with specific photo's. ?

Gill sans ultra bold is the font I used ? The kit was miz-London town

Odd that with resizing the shadow on the red mat looks very black but with the original size it looked ok, well I think it was ok?

Dag 7-600.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 9

3 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

If you save your favorite shadow settings as presets, just have the separate layer box checked when you save it.

Oh, ok! I don't think I have done that !

I have several shadows as presets, but sometimes nothing seems to fit?

Just now, MoniqueN. said:

Oh, ok! I don't think I have done that !

I have several shadows as presets, but sometimes nothing seems to fit?

Use one of those presets and tweak the settings. I do it all the time. I have a go to preset for papers and photo mats but quite often I will tweak the settings to get the look I want. I also have one preset that I use to start shadowing on foliage and flowers in a cluster. I tweak the settings as I work from bottom to top of the layers all the time. Drop Shadow presets are the thing I use the most in my use of PSP for scrapbooking. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Day 6.  As you can see I didn't use the  template. I used a  photo from last year, as I'm yet to get a shot of  one this year.  I thought I saw one  on Wednesday, and then  this morning I saw one at the top of our drive.  It's a bit early for them yet.  Slats script.  Text on a path using my own vector arrows.  Cassel's  bead tube around the  word Squirrel, and the dingbat corner elements. The label is mine, the gold element is also a font.

WiseWords-Template6.jpg

That's a cute little critter that I don't think we have around here in SW Ontario. Always enjoy your pix.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Finally finished my day 7 project.  I started over on it several times!  I decided rather than one picture to do individual letters with separate pictures.  This is my grandson when he was small.  Not sure where any of the papers are from.  I got the elements from Pixel Scrappers and the round star at the top was made from a paper by Marisa Laren. This has been a  fun week!

day 7 project.jpg

• Like 2
  • WOW 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 12

5 minutes ago, Linda Hitt said:

Finally finished my day 7 project.  I started over on it several times!  I decided rather than one picture to do individual letters with separate pictures.  This is my grandson when he was small.  Not sure where any of the papers are from.  I got the elements from Pixel Scrappers and the round star at the top was made from a paper by Marisa Laren. This has been a  fun week!

day 7 project.jpg

Great idea!?

• Love 4

For the day 7 workshop, I used a picture of my grandson, David, playing rugby in Las Vegas. He is the one running over the guy on the ground. He is currently coaching the women's Las Vegas rugby team that has made a splash by winning all of their games so far. I deviated from using my kit except for the star. Rugby does not really fit the art deco style so I used a sports kit that included rugby from Marisa Lerin. I colored her background paper, originally black, to green. The colors in her kit for rugby coincides with David's Las Vegas team colors. The background for the wavy section is a RB 80's gradient with the opacity lowered. The text is GuinnessExtra Stout in honor of the boys always drinking stout. All the other graphics are from the kit, including the WordArt which I modified, but the words are hers. They are perfect, but I never would have thought of them myself.

*I had to edit the first one because I forgot the shadows. Psp was working very slow until I shut it down and ran Norton Utilites to clean out the junk files.

text7final600.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
  • Like 10
  • Love 5

3 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

Use one of those presets and tweak the settings. I do it all the time. I have a go to preset for papers and photo mats but quite often I will tweak the settings to get the look I want. I also have one preset that I use to start shadowing on foliage and flowers in a cluster. I tweak the settings as I work from bottom to top of the layers all the time. Drop Shadow presets are the thing I use the most in my use of PSP for scrapbooking. 

I have presets too, button, papers (thick and regular), reverse (for papers), ribbon, string etc.  And yes, I tweak them pretty much all the time.  I think it was in the Basic Course that I got some cheat sheets for shadows that came with the course.  I also try and make notes of shadow settings in tutorials, lessons, workshops and see if it works for my layout.  If it does and I dont have a preset for it then I'll make one.  One thing I wonder if say I'm constantly changing a preset to the same, can I re-save the preset with the new "starter" settings.  I should look into that.

• Like 2

Lesson 7 Spring is in the air, except for the snowfall yesterday and today.  

The font is: Wish Apic (Creative Fabrica)

I used flower picture tubes

Photo's and papers, elements I made.

Thank you for another wonderful course.  I learned something new in every lesson.  I really like that transluscent look in the titles we did that on.  And being able to separate the letters and work on them on their own is the favorite technique I learned.  

Text Workshop Lesson 7 Petals-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 10

@Gerry Landreth Yes, picture tubes do have some settings that can be changed to get different effects. Isn't is fun to accidentally find something new?

@Carolyn Rye Glad you are enjoying yourself. I think you rotated the text a little more than the 5 degrees that was suggested. When you get more comfortable, you will be able to add shadows on the various papers and elements.

@Corrie Kinkel Perfect choice of color for the rope around the text. I was actually hesitant to offer the Build-A-Kit workshop at the same time as another one, but I figured that since it was not as intense, participants can pick and choose what to work on.

@MoniqueN.As others have mentioned, add the shadow and see the difference for yourself. Although it might not look like much when you add it, it shows clearly when you don't have it. The technique on day 7 is not something that is typical, but if you ever have a nice landscape image, it might be perfect for that technique.

@Louyse Toupin Glad that you managed to use the text on the path. May I suggest that you move the text a little to the left so it does not overlap the photo?

@Bonnie Ballentine I see you also used multiple fonts in the title for the Sandy layout. Did you forget the shadows on the cat photos? Never a dull moment looking at your projects either! ? On the title, I see that the pickleballs are "uneven". Is that intended? If so, no problem. If no, you might need to change the setting for Placement mode from Random to Continuous. That is a setting that is often overlooked.

@Anne Lamp Glad to see at least some of your projects. If you finish them later, the thread will still be open for you to post.

@Susan Ewart You won't be without work for very long. Hint, hint. Another workshop will come in April and something else for Easter. All those techniques will probably show up in upcoming projects?

@Rene Marker That is a good font for that project and shows enough of the image.

@Hank Sobah Spring will come... eventually!

@Ann Seeber What a great story and you showcased it well too.

@Marie-Claire Happy birthday Poncho!

@Linda Hitt You did great by using the technique on individual letters. It is more work, but the result is worth it!

@Donna Sillia That is a great idea to put the letters vertically to showcase that photo!

@Alice Daniel Glad to see you post projects. Keep them coming. Practice will help.

Although today is officially the last day of the workshop, you still have 7 more days to access the tutorials and continue posting your projects in the thread. DIAMOND members don't need to rush as you have permanent access to the tutorials.

Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

I'm not too happy with the rendering of my letters on this last day .... I think that the photo chosen is not ideal, with the dark on the J of JEU (game). Or maybe the chosen font??? mystery ... but I did several tests and I admit that, oops, I believe that I do not like this effect at all, sorry. All the other technical proposals, I really loved, but there ... I can't seem to like the rendering. It's just a matter of taste LOL. But the technique is not to be ousted. I will definitely do more tests. Maybe I'll find another way to use it.

all credits on my gallery

large.B57_ThriftyTreasuresByKitdTpByCassel600.jpg.09d6bd25e15d489e2c67ef0e73140062.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 6

On 3/26/2023 at 4:50 AM, Cassel said:

@nadine Your out-of-bound effect is stunning!!! Your use of artsy style is so well done. I think I am a bit jaleous!

???arf jealous LOL no but seriously .... I'm not doing anything extraordinary. I'm just lucky to be part of the Creative Team of 2 designers and I've always said "Nice Kit = Pretty Page". Just a question of feeling to make a page and that's it. Good management of elements, papers and shading. ☺️
And since we are in the confidence, I admit that I am a little, even "a lot envious" of your knowledge on Paintshop .... how happy I will be to know all these techniques that you have . So I'm always and always learning to improve at least the few techniques I know )))) And I'm very grateful to you for sharing your learning. I admire your patience and generosity. So many designers, who keep their knowledge, with the aim of always selling more .... So knowing that I can buy absolutely nothing (I made a promise to my husband, and I always keep my promises) I am really very grateful to you. Thank you for everything.

Edited by nadine
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Gerry Landreth Yes, picture tubes do have some settings that can be changed to get different effects. Isn't is fun to accidentally find something new?

@Carolyn Rye Glad you are enjoying yourself. I think you rotated the text a little more than the 5 degrees that was suggested. When you get more comfortable, you will be able to add shadows on the various papers and elements.

@Corrie Kinkel Perfect choice of color for the rope around the text. I was actually hesitant to offer the Build-A-Kit workshop at the same time as another one, but I figured that since it was not as intense, participants can pick and choose what to work on.

@MoniqueN.As others have mentioned, add the shadow and see the difference for yourself. Although it might not look like much when you add it, it shows clearly when you don't have it. The technique on day 7 is not something that is typical, but if you ever have a nice landscape image, it might be perfect for that technique.

@Louyse Toupin Glad that you managed to use the text on the path. May I suggest that you move the text a little to the left so it does not overlap the photo?

@Bonnie Ballentine I see you also used multiple fonts in the title for the Sandy layout. Did you forget the shadows on the cat photos? Never a dull moment looking at your projects either! ? On the title, I see that the pickleballs are "uneven". Is that intended? If so, no problem. If no, you might need to change the setting for Placement mode from Random to Continuous. That is a setting that is often overlooked.

@Anne Lamp Glad to see at least some of your projects. If you finish them later, the thread will still be open for you to post.

@Susan Ewart You won't be without work for very long. Hint, hint. Another workshop will come in April and something else for Easter. All those techniques will probably show up in upcoming projects?

@Rene Marker That is a good font for that project and shows enough of the image.

@Hank Sobah Spring will come... eventually!

@Ann Seeber What a great story and you showcased it well too.

@Marie-Claire Happy birthday Poncho!

@Linda Hitt You did great by using the technique on individual letters. It is more work, but the result is worth it!

@Donna Sillia That is a great idea to put the letters vertically to showcase that photo!

@Alice Daniel Glad to see you post projects. Keep them coming. Practice will help.

Although today is officially the last day of the workshop, you still have 7 more days to access the tutorials and continue posting your projects in the thread. DIAMOND members don't need to rush as you have permanent access to the tutorials.

Keep it up!

Carole, yes, it looks like I forgot the shadows on Penny's layout. Off to fix it. Thanks for the catch. I worked forever with the pickleball outline. That was as close as I could get it. I did have it set to continuous. I changed the size of the balls and the step multiple times searching for a solution. 

• Like 1

All of you guys have done such inspiring work, I love all the pages but I have to admit that "Penny being Penny" is my favorite.   We have always had cats and I love them to death and I can tell by the pictures that Penny is something else.   I got caught up in a Scrapbooking summit and didn't get anything done.

I'm also taking a machine embroidery digitizing class and that is keeping me jumping.  Spreading myself to thin for a almost 75 year old (3 more days).

Keep up the good work and maybe I'll get something done some day.

• Love 3

Still working on it. This is workshop 5.  The text is Bauhaus 93; the Christmas hat and the star are from Cassel; I'm not sure, but I think the gnome is from Creative Fabrica.  I extracted the "Santa Stop Here" sign from another picture of the tree.  The scene is from the Germantown (TN) Civic Center Christmas Santa Party for the kids.  Yes, Santa was there and I even have a picture of me with Santa!

Christmas Tree-workshop 5_600.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 6