Text Workshop 2023

Cassel

I'm not sure if this is going to be covered.  It has to do with text on a path.  I know how to put text around a circle, but the text on the bottom is upside down.  I've looked for information before on how to have it right side up like my "professional" image below and I've found the explanation (but as usual I never can find it a second time).  If I recall correctly, it's a round about way that you have to do it, but I don't remember.  

IMG_0561.jpg

25 minutes ago, Lesley Maple said:

I'm not sure if this is going to be covered.  It has to do with text on a path.  I know how to put text around a circle, but the text on the bottom is upside down.  I've looked for information before on how to have it right side up like my "professional" image below and I've found the explanation (but as usual I never can find it a second time).  If I recall correctly, it's a round about way that you have to do it, but I don't remember.  

IMG_0561.jpg

Text on path in PaintShop Pro | Scrapbook Campus

Maybe this will help. Blog post from July 18, 2016

• Like 1
  • Love 1

A photo from Chuck Calio on The Hudson Valley in Pictures titled Quiet Time. The stars are from my kit of glitter star templates by Esperanza Mixto on Pixelscrappers. I used various effects on plain color fills. The title font is Before the Rainbow from the Freebie Challenge. 

QUIET TIME_600.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 6

There is a replica Tara in Sharon, PA which we visited several years ago and stayed in the Rhett Butler bedroom. My photo is of a clock on the main floor and seems to be very art deco. I did use papers from my kit but made a small selection of the wallpaper for the striped background. It fits into my kit perfectly. The font is Broadway. Yesterday I received an email from Microsoft inviting me to try their new AI site, Microsoft Designer, which is where I made the roses which are also perfect for my kit. The blue paper has a PSP texture while the pink background has one of my pattern papers. I saved all of my papers not only as jpegs but also as psp images which makes it easy to change colors. I am very happy with the result except for the Title. I experimented with it, but it does seem to stand out the way that I would like it to.

template5final600.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 4

41 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I know Carole said not to use a shadow, but I did. I duplicated the vector layer, rasterized it and added a shadow. My text is rather narrow and needed an emphasis.

I didn't use a shadow but I did put a 2 pixel black stroke around my letters. It doesn't show much on the small version but looks good on the large version.

• Like 4

I have fallen a bit behind, so here is Day 4. I am SO grateful to have the templates provided to save some time. Thank you Carole.

The photos are all from UnSplash, and the rest is likely all from Digital Scrapbooking.

Not very spring-like here yet, so I think the poor robins must be hungry and chilly, and they've been around for a while now.

Texting Day 4-600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 12

16 hours ago, Carolyn Rye said:

This is the first time I have taken part in this kind of forum and I have totally enjoyed it.  I have now completed day 4 and I am looking forward to the next 3 days.

I am very new to this and realize just how much I do not know.  I had trouble with adding photos on the template so had to change the way they should have been done so that I could complete the project.  I will have to learn how to add photos the right way. 

I have attached a copy of the 4th day's project just to show that I am trying.

TextWorkshop 4A day at the beach.jpg

It will get easier with help from here and all the tutorials and labs. It's a massive program to master! I wanted to give up many times, but it's worth sticking around. :-)) And, for the first attempt, you've done such a great job! More than I could do when I got started.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

A photo from Chuck Calio on The Hudson Valley in Pictures titled Quiet Time. The stars are from my kit of glitter star templates by Esperanza Mixto on Pixelscrappers. I used various effects on plain color fills. The title font is Before the Rainbow from the Freebie Challenge. 

QUIET TIME_600.jpg

What a daring (?) combination of colours, but I love it!??

• Thanks 1

This time a photo of a native orchid in The Netherlands seen on a walk last summer. The background is of a plaid paper but with a solid paper below and the blend mode set to luminance, which gives a different effect. All papers come from my kit. Again I used some butterflies and a confetti tube by Carole. I don't have many bold fonts so I went with Gill Sans Ultra Bold and gave it a heavy texture, otherwise it wasn't very visible. 

TextWorkshop-5-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 12

Here I am back at Lesson 3 still.  Errands are done and now to play catch up.  The fonts for the whole thing is The Blowar.  Two of the papers (Brass, green metal patina) from Digital Scrapbook KMRD-Steampunk-brass metal, and metal patina.  Photo by my hubby a loooong time ago, probably around 2006.  Yup that's me in the yellow top, my one and only attempt at glass blowing.  I already had a huge studio with Lampwork and Fusing glass that I didnt want to add more glass and more expensive equipment.  What did I make?  A nice 'horse hoof shaped blob of glass...that was supposed to be a nice round sphere. Much easier to work glass in a flame, or cut it up and stick in a kiln, for me anyway.  PSP was acting very sluggish today, dont know why.    

Text Workshop Lesson 3-Hot Glass-600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 10

On the contrary hares aren't mad in March.  It's the courting behaviour of mating hares. As mad as a March hare is a British idiomatic phrase.   There weren't enough hours in the day yesterday,  hence combining yesterday's and today's  text techniques on one page.  Here are 3 of my 5 resident hares.  After a wonderful display of the Northern lights last night, and  early hours of this morning, the hares were very entertaining long after they were meant to retire for the day.   Drastically resizing really does degrade my photos. 

WiseWords-Template4a.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 5
  • Love 12

@Carolyn Rye Glad to see you post your Day 4 project. Yes, PSP can be a massive program but with the support of this community, you are always in good hands. If you encounter any issue, don't hesitate to ask.

@kasany If you are not sure about the red on the text, you can remove it, however, being that the technique applies the effect to the letters individually, you will also have to remove the red one letter at a time. But it looks ok to me!

@Pirkko Seppälä That button you highlighted means that the second vertical "line" will be on the right. And yes, you should be able to use the Alignment the same way as for horizontal text.

@Lesley Maple, Rene beat me to it. The information in that article has been requested so many times!!!

@MoniqueN. If you overlap the letters a little, it will make the effect more visible!

@Rene Marker Nice title. That tiny overlap shows the transparency of the letters.

@Ann Seeber Even though the tutorial does not require a shadow, I see that you did, and that is because it made sense!

@Linda HittAdding a shadow would be a good idea for your title BUT you will notice that you would need to have the shadow on the letters separately to make a good effect, which means extra steps to separate each letter. If you can do it, it would work, but that is why I didn't show it. It is more work.

@Donna Sillia I think we could see your title more clearly if the background was a solid color. The color change in the second try definitely make the text show much better.

@Anja Pelzer I know you will catch up. Don't worry!

@Julie Magerka Your curve was smooth enough to leave the text easy to read.

@Corrie Kinkel Do you mean that you have to start collecting some thick fonts??? Beware! It can become addictive! Joking aside, you might want to gather a few good fat fonts for various projects. Check the suggestions in TheLab. We often have font duos where one is thicker and the other is thinner. They should all be free.

@Susan Ewart That is quite an interesting experience to document!

@Sue Thomas I always learn something about nature with you. Maybe you should connect with David Suzuki!!!

Day 4.  Text on a Path.  I like being reminded how to do text on a path.  At first I thought my Text too was out-to-lunch because I couldnt highlight the text.  Are you ready for a laugh...well, I had not put the paper in place of the grey holder spot so I couldnt see the text being highlighted because it was the same color. I put a temp paper in and there my text was, all highlighted and happy.  The temporary paper (yellow) I kept and added a texture effect.  The brown paper is from APJess-Furry cuddles (Digital Scrapbook) that I also added the Blinds texture.  The buttons are from Digital Scrapbook - I forget who.  Font is Stay Latte for the bottom and Mustard Med for the top, I cut it out of the top paper, using the magic wand to select the letters and then hitting delete on the paper layer...and initially forgot to hide the grey layer, another Duh moment.  

Text Workshop Lesson 4 The Path Taken-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 13

Have just finished Day 5.  I think I am actually starting to understand a "little" of this. Will this is my attempt at doing a special Christmas Day with my Grandchildren.  The two dogs at the bottom right are photos of my fur babies.

TextWorkshop-5  Christmas.jpg

Edited by Carolyn Rye
  • Like 9
  • Love 5