March SONG Challenge (2023)

Cassel

Song-Challenge.jpg

Once a week, there is a radio show that has been on for many years. It is called Vinyl Tap. It is 2 hours of songs that are picked around a particular theme. Sometimes, it has to do with a word, sometimes, a topic, sometimes it is another particularity (like "unlikely duets").

Since are always starting to look forward to the warmer weather at this time of year, use a title or lyrics of a song that has the word SPRING in the title. We want to feel the warmth!

Are you up to the challenge?

I'm game.  The first song that popped into my head was from State Fair (a musical by Rogers and Hammerstein).  I thought I was kind of copying a layout I had done before and just change the title.  However, I have worked on this almost the whole day - the problem was the font! Every time I wanted to duplicate the title so that I could innerbevel it, the layer disappeared and left me with the title as "selected".  I finally just flood filled the selection on a raster layer and went from there.  I even tried closing out and restarting the computer, but that didn't work.  I don't know if there was just so much in the file because I had worked hard on the netting and it couldn't handle the font.  Well, anyway, here it is.

It Might As Well Be Spring_600.jpg

• Love 5

13 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

I'm game.  The first song that popped into my head was from State Fair (a musical by Rogers and Hammerstein).  I thought I was kind of copying a layout I had done before and just change the title.  However, I have worked on this almost the whole day - the problem was the font! Every time I wanted to duplicate the title so that I could innerbevel it, the layer disappeared and left me with the title as "selected".  I finally just flood filled the selection on a raster layer and went from there.  I even tried closing out and restarting the computer, but that didn't work.  I don't know if there was just so much in the file because I had worked hard on the netting and it couldn't handle the font.  Well, anyway, here it is.

It Might As Well Be Spring_600.jpg

It is still happening.  I went back and opened a new layout, put in a paper, then placed a title.  As soon as I clicked on it to duplicate it, the layer disappeared and the title was just a selection.  Did something happen to Windows 10 in an update that could have done this???  Anyone have any ideas???

8 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

It is still happening.  I went back and opened a new layout, put in a paper, then placed a title.  As soon as I clicked on it to duplicate it, the layer disappeared and the title was just a selection.  Did something happen to Windows 10 in an update that could have done this???  Anyone have any ideas???

Are you using 2023? There is a "bug" that happens if the file is saved with the bottom layer active. Somehow, it messes PSP and then it is really hard to select layers correctly. For that, you would need to activate another layer first, save the file, close it and reopen it.

30 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Are you using 2023? There is a "bug" that happens if the file is saved with the bottom layer active. Somehow, it messes PSP and then it is really hard to select layers correctly. For that, you would need to activate another layer first, save the file, close it and reopen it.

I'll look at saving not with the bottom layer active.  I'm using 2022 Ultimate. It's not with the saving.  It has to do with selecting a font and creating a title, and then clicking on it to duplicate it  - as soon as you do that, the layer disappears and the title disappears except that it is outlined with "marching ants".  The layer also disappears if you decide to move the title and choose the pick tool.  This is just crazy and has only happened today.  When I did the layout for the Build-A-Kit workshop, it didn't happen and that was yesterday, I believe.

The last update to Windows 10 64bit was on 3/15/2023.

I just checked - I posted that layout on the workshop yesterday, but there was no font used.  So - I haven't tried to use the font tool for some time.

WOOOW.  I just discovered what was the matter - it pays to look at all the areas of your tool -- for some strange reason it had changed to "create as" - selection!  In trying to do it again, I discovered this.  When I changed it to "create as" vector, it worked just as it was supposed to.  I can't believe I could be so dumb!  Thanks for looking at my problem.

Edited by Mary Solaas

5 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

I'll look at saving not with the bottom layer active.  I'm using 2022 Ultimate. It's not with the saving.  It has to do with selecting a font and creating a title, and then clicking on it to duplicate it  - as soon as you do that, the layer disappears and the title disappears except that it is outlined with "marching ants".  The layer also disappears if you decide to move the title and choose the pick tool.  This is just crazy and has only happened today.  When I did the layout for the Build-A-Kit workshop, it didn't happen and that was yesterday, I believe.

Oh, is it possible that the Create as... has been changed to Selection instead of Vector?

3 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Oh, is it possible that the Create as... has been changed to Selection instead of Vector?

I just opened a new layout and played with the pen tool since it uses a vector layer and that works fine, I can duplicate it and it doesn't disappear - But then if I choose the Text tool the same thing happens.

3 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Just now, Mary Solaas said:

I wonder what would happen if it had "floating" as the choice?

It will show the text and it will be "attached" the the cursor until you move it somewhere. But it won't be in vector format.

Today it's just PSP Ultimate 2022.  Couldn't get it to do File> - anything.  But finally got it saved. Then SLOWWWWLY SaveAs a jpg.  Close it out.  Then reopen the jpg and reduce it in size (no problem there) and then saved at 600.  Could it possibly be the size of the layout due to undo and redo's?  I haven't had that problem before.  Anyway - here is #2.

There is a really good rendition of this song on YouTube by Ella Fitzgerald.

Spring Is Here-workshop 1_600.jpg

Edited by Mary Solaas
  • Love 3

I wanted to make something for this challenge. But I couldn't think of ONE song with Spring in the title, so of course I googled for one. I chose this one by the King of whom I was not particularly a fan back then, but really love his voice now.

I just wanted to "mess around" with it, and that's what turned out.

Spring Fever song.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Cassel unpinned this topic