Newsletter chitchat - January 31, 2023

Cassel

I dont deal with it.  But this year I must purge the studios.  I promised myself I'd be brutal.  The space is needed for the hobbies I am doing.  I did sell all my silversmith tools/supplies/silver last fall to make room for a new camera...it takes up way less room  ? .  Purging is never easy, I wish I had a delete button for that.

1 hour ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Carole, have you thought of sewing adult bibs?

I might look into that. The problem is that the fabric might not lend itself to that type of item. I have things like stretchy spandex, corduroy, fleece, etc.

I made  my  own clothes for my  2 children when they  babies and toddlers.  Of course back in those days boys and girls were dressed the same when babies. I used to make Viyella nighties and vests for them.  Also I knitted all their matinee  jackets, using the Blackberry stitch, as it is my favourite stitch.   I  ordered  a hand made personized rag doll for the youngest granddaughter for Xmas.  I'm in the process of  crocheting  a hat and matching scarf and mittens for her.  As an Easter gift.  I suspect the cost of the  postage to Wales  will be far in excess of the wool. But Hey, you can't put a price on making something  yourself. 

Merryn's rag doll Xmas 2022 (1).jpg

Merryn's rag doll Xmas 2022 (4).jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 4

As a person who can't sew I'd love to see any creation you make.  If you have Christmas fabric I'd love to see a Christmas doll.  And my all time favorite thing to have would be a Rainbow-Butterfly-Unicorn-Kitten.  Not as garish as this guy, but sometimes, you just need one.

rainbow kitten.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You mentioned that you don't necessarily think you can make quilts because not all your fabric is cotton.  It doesn't have to be all cotton.  There are crazy quilts I have made with velvets , lace, leather, and all sorts of fabrics, especially in crazy quilting.  It just means you may have to launder them differently.  For nursing homes, though, I do recommend using fabrics that are washable, but this can include poly blends.

4 minutes ago, Sandy Christian-Mamie said:

You mentioned that you don't necessarily think you can make quilts because not all your fabric is cotton.  It doesn't have to be all cotton.  There are crazy quilts I have made with velvets , lace, leather, and all sorts of fabrics, especially in crazy quilting.  It just means you may have to launder them differently.  For nursing homes, though, I do recommend using fabrics that are washable, but this can include poly blends.

Yes, crazy quilt is something I will likely try. ?

• Love 1