Mask Workshop 2023

Cassel

40 minutes ago, MoniqueN. said:

Lesson 2

I don't know what I did with the edges around the photo's at the bottom, but they are not the same width.?

Fonts: Celtic md and centaur

Les 2-600.jpg

Monique is it possible that you had the picktool not to scale, sometimes the setting goes to to something else without you doing so.

• Like 1

Day 6 project. Both fonts are  Bradley Hand ITC .  The photo is mine. on the background I followed the instructions using monochrome and then selected the dark "strings" with the magic wand set to brightness with a low tolerance, and flood filled that whit the red from the bird.

DAY6 6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 7

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 6 Diamond Extra.  

I tweaked the blue frame by the little circle. Made it bigger and used it as a frame, as the inner frame seemed distracting.  It was hard to find a background I liked.  I tried many versions of the lino paper but could find one I liked.  Used a gradient that seemed like the sky... and now having typed that I could have found a photo with the actual sky.  Font is Adobe Devanagari and the water droplets on the sign are from Digital Scrapbook - Jessica Dunn Coastal Spring Water Droplets.  You can see in the smaller photo that I was shooting through the window.  You can see a reflection, sometimes there is no getting away from it.  Angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection... sometimes you just cant get out of the angle. I hate physics.  

Those photos are perfect for that mask layout. The whole thing says "action." Some of your critters?

• Like 1

Today I learned how to move a mask and how to make polka dots. I also learned that text on top of polka dots is not necessarily a good thing. I played with both the size & blending of the dots as well as the type and size of text and ended up frustrated. I added a border to finish it off. I think that I will make a batch of polka dot washi tape instead and stick to textured or plaid paper in the future. The font is Script MT Bold.

mask lesson7 sharon.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 6

Day 7 and here is the last for my series of fungi. The pattern for the background is made with a leaf brush and the blendmode dissolve. I almost never use that blend mode but here it is fitting to make the leaves looking brittle. This font is Almond Script and I needed some thing to fill the left corner, so I used a corner brush from Carole. Made a sticker out of the fungus in the photo and instead of a white border, gave it a greyish one otherwise it wouldn't stand out on the background. Stickers don't always have a white border.

Mask Workshop - 2023 - day 7-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 7

4 minutes ago, sharon thompson said:

Today I learned how to move a mask and how to make polka dots. I also learned that text on top of polka dots is not necessarily a good thing. I played with both the size & blending of the dots as well as the type and size of text and ended up frustrated. I added a border to finish it off. I think that I will make a batch of polka dot washi tape instead and stick to textured or plaid paper in the future. The font is Script MT Bold.

mask lesson7 sharon.jpg

Sharon when you want your text easier to read you can use the brushtool  with the color of your background and set it to paint behind. Use a new raster layer under your text to paint.

• Like 1
  • WOW 1

7 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Sharon when you want your text easier to read you can use the brushtool  with the color of your background and set it to paint behind. Use a new raster layer under your text to paint.

Hi Connie. Thanks for sharing that. I have never tried something like that before but will definitely do so. I think that I am learning more from all the comments than I am from the actual lessons. Sharon

Just now, sharon thompson said:

Hi Connie. Thanks for sharing that. I have never tried something like that before but will definitely do so. I think that I am learning more from all the comments than I am from the actual lessons. Sharon

In the video of lesson 2 you can see Carole do that exact thing Corrie mentioned.

• Like 1

Londyn always made sure he looked his best in case the teacher in case he had to be on camera. This is 5 years ago. 

All of the elements, including the apple I used for the paper, came from Creative Fabrica.

The font is School Rules, also from Creative Fabrica. It is a set of three fonts, one with letters and lines, one with only lines, and the other with only letters. Because I couldn't figure around the blank space using the combination letters and lines, I did them separately on layers and aligned them manually.

GNL_MaskWorkshop_Day_7_600.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Like 5
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I can't believe that I missed that in the tutorial along with how to make that plaid paper!!!!!  I remember being interrupted by a power interruption and I guess I thought that i was finished it. Now I have to go back and rewatch them all and see what else I missed. My little grey cells aren't as alert as they once were. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/16/2023 at 9:37 PM, Cassel said:

@Mary SolaasOK, good to know you have already tried changing the scaling. In fact, once you get comfortable trying things, you can then have more options to find what works and what you like.

@GabrielaSince your background is dark, have you considered using a lighter color for the title? I wonder if it would make it easier to read. Goot to see you catching up.

@Ann SeeberInteresting way to use the mask and the "holes" with a different color. To answer your question about the "stripes", it is called "banding". It usuallly happens when fewer colors are used, which is common when you are compressing AND resizing too. Consider that instead of 3600 different colors in the gradient, you end up with only 600 since the image is only 600 pixels.

@cindy harrisI will ask permission from Lady22 to see if I can share her template to help those who get completely lost with her French site.

@TonimarieI am  glad you are finding new ways to use what you used before.

@Anne LampIt is interesting how you used the kaleidoscope effect without making it into a tile. Often, it is too powerful, but you managed it very well. And the way you placed the image on the background, it really put the focus on it.

@Carol Anne WallIsn't that easy, in the end, to make a mask? And now that you understand how to make them, you will surely try again!

@Rene MarkerGreat layout. It is interesting how your background, being the same blue as the sky of the image, the masking makes it nicely blended.

@Sue ThomasIt is great how you worked with the perspective and layered in a way that it appears under the rope.

@MoniqueN.Looking forward to your work. No rush though: enjoy the nice  interruption!

@Marie-ClaireI am so glad to see that tag being used! And seeing all those photos of your dog, I almost wish I had one (although I am a cat person more than a  dog person).

@Susan EwartThank you for sharing your process and how it helps in the end. I am sure it will help others too.

@Corrie KinkelIs that title a single word for the name of that mushroom? I am not sure I would be able to pronounce it!

@Lesley MapleGlad you are getting comfortable in making your own masks. You will see that you will find more opportunities to use them. I would suggest being careful having text on top of a ribbon, especially for a ribbon that is not completely flat. Are you able to put the ribbon on top of the text, and resizing it or moving it in a way to not hide the text too much?

@sharon thompsonYES, masks can be used in many other projects than scrapbooking. And once you understand the principle of masking, you can use other adjustment layers in even more creative ways. For those who do have access to the DIAMOND membership, the Fantasy World master class uses those adjustment layers to create... adjustments.

@Gerry LandrethThanks for the name of that font. As a subscriber, I might be able to get it. I love the quote for your layout. I think it can also apply to families with young children!!

This thread is so busy that I heard some members mention they get flooded with notifications. If you don't want to get an email for every single post in this thread (which the default if you have posted in it), you can change that either by unsubscribing, or getting only one daily notification. For that, go to the top of the thread where you should see the red button that says "Following". Click on it to change your preferences.

I also wanted to let you know that this weekend, I will be at the computer a little less than usual, but I won't neglect you. If you have issues, don't hesitate to contact me or to post in the forum. I might just be a little slower than usual.

I couldnt get a couple like the first one and the last one with 3 small picture places  I did click on the blue button but nothing happened.  thank YOU

Day 7 

Fonts used : Kelly Ann Gothic----Adobe Fangsong

Background created with the polkadot------3 different size layers 

Elements are from PNGTree

Picture taken by me ...the Snake was on the rocks surrounding my flowerbeds ,luckily it stuck around long enough for me to take some pictures

Day7 Bootcamp Feb2023--600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Days 6 and 7.  Friday and Saturday proved to be productive full hiking days.     Corner punches used on both pages,  lino  paper, and  instead of using polka dots, I used 2 different  snowflakes, with different sizes.  I used 2 overlays on the 18th Feb page.  Brushes  to create the masks.   Pages sized down to 5x7 photo  paper.  I haven't exactly conformed with what Carole demonstrated.  I  sort of went off on a whim.

Day 7.jpg

Day 6.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 3
  • Love 7

5 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Monique is it possible that you had the picktool not to scale, sometimes the setting goes to to something else without you doing so.

That is my pick tool these days.  I used perspective ONCE and now it goes to it every time, even when I'm using the pick tool set to scale multiple times in a few minutes.  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Those are the usual suspects I see everyday.  This happened to be in October of 2022, I leave the baths out as long as I dare if the weather is good.  They love the red bath, but were a bit miffed when I had to put a rock in it for the LBJ's (little brown jobs) as one drown in it one year and I was horrified that it happened.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gabriela said:

Day 7 

Fonts used : Kelly Ann Gothic----Adobe Fangsong

Background created with the polkadot------3 different size layers 

Elements are from PNGTree

Picture taken by me ...the Snake was on the rocks surrounding my flowerbeds ,luckily it stuck around long enough for me to take some pictures

Day7 Bootcamp Feb2023--600.jpg

I love snakes.  This was very interesting to read.  I was shocked they are that big.  I havent seen any snakes in Alberta, but when I lived in various parts of BC (canada) we saw rattle snakes and garter snakes. 

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

Days 6 and 7.  Friday and Saturday proved to be productive full hiking days.     Corner punches used on both pages,  lino  paper, and  instead of using polka dots, I used 2 different  snowflakes, with different sizes.  I used 2 overlays on the 18th Feb page.  Brushes  to create the masks.   Pages sized down to 5x7 photo  paper.  I haven't exactly conformed with what Carole demonstrated.  I  sort of went off on a whim.

Day 7.jpg

Day 6.jpg

LOVE. LOVE. LOVE this!  Wow, beautiful layout and really beautiful inspiring photography.  I learned reading another post you said males are mostly white.  I didnt know that.  What an experience that must be to see (and photograph) the creatures and spaces you travel in.