Mask Workshop 2023

Cassel

During the pandemic, small wildlife moved into our small town and took over the deserted yards and streets. Shortly thereafter, the smaller animals seemed to disappear as foxes and coyotes moved in.  One brazen fox established a route along the front yards all along my street. They are beautiful creatures and so very good at mouse control.  One liked to lie down behind the big maple tree in my front yard and wait for dinner to scamper by. He would appear at the same time each day. The upside is that I no longer have to set mousetraps in my garage & shed.

I made the lino background with a small pattern and blurred & blended it. I focused tightly on a close up of the fox's face when using the watercolour brush for masking. The font is Segoe Print. I added a picture frame and then selected out the edge to give it a more rustic look.

mask lesson6 sharon.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Love 3

Day 6's project I found easier than the 5th one.  This is Stella.  She's a giant breed - Great Pyrenees/German Shepherd mix.  We went to Puppy Kindergarten when she was about 5 months old.  She got expelled.  (She's fear aggressive and the teacher was filling in for the regular one and she wasn't comfortable with a 60 lb puppy with behavior issues).  
We returned to school when the regular teacher returned and Stella was 9 months old and GIGANTIC when she finally graduated from puppy school.

I love this method of making a background. Elements are from the Fido kit by Gina Jones.

Stella-Mask-Lesson6-600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 6

@Gabriela Those little gems are perfect details to match the pattern on the frogs. Maybe if you filled the text in black, it would be a bit easier to read? Great choice for the custom mask outline!

@Sue Thomas Great background! Using overlays can generate such unique effects and you are obviously having fun with them. Great masks using the vectorpaint!

@Susan EwartThat nice doodle frame is quite cute but do you know how easy it is? Check this tutorial for doodle/scribbled outline and apply the same technique to frames. It is clear that you are getting more comfortable with PSP. You are already integrating various lessons from different tutorials and master classes (blending, overlays, etc.) And it will only get easier with more practice.

@Ann SeeberA compression setting of 72 is very high. I tend to keep mine between 20 and 30! Are you otherwise having too large files? It is good on your layout with rings that you didn't add a "traditional" shadow on the bird as it would then have looked like a sticker. This is one situation where not adding a shadow is the right choice.

@Hank SobahIt looks like you were playing with some overlays. Am I correct?

@Donna SilliaYes, I think these last shadows are more appropriate. When you used the script, were the skis horizontal or did you rotate them to add to the layout? The extraction you did was well done. And yes, the smaller "tiles" in that color really match well a desert scene.

@sharon thompsonFor the text on path, there is "almost" a shortcut: make the path, then make the text separately, highlight both and go to Object > Fit text to path. Otherwise, check this article. And then, maybe these little tips could help too.

@Marie-ClaireIs it possible that you had merged all the frames before adding the shadow? The 3D effect would be more obvious if the shadows were added before the merge as they could shadow the frames individually. And I am not tired of seeing Poncho!

@Lesley MapleFor the brushes, if you were to make them smaller, they would blend in more into the mask instead of looking like standalone, and then you would have an easier time concentrating the photo into a limited  area of the mask.

@Bonnie BallentineGlad to see you catching up. Yes, plaids can be overpowering, and sometimes, it depends on what section of the image you are using. Some areas will have more contrasting colors and will show brightly, while other sections will have more subtle colors. Knowing that in advance, you can select areas to give more of the look you want, but you can also play with overlays, blend modes and opacity. They are all fair game! You know, it is so much fun to see your friends, page after page. It feels like we know them by now!

@Corrie KinkelOn that "sponge" layout, I almost thought you made a brush out of that specific fungi, which is something one could do! It matches so well.

@Ron Welcome back. I hope you are doing ok now. Speaking of translation, I once translated a tutorial, from French to English and uploaded online. A while later, I stumbled upon a translation of the English tutorial, back into French, and the instructions were hilarious!!! I know Google translate might not be good with technical terms but this was a gem!!! If you are ever stuck on a word, just ask. We have members speaking various languages who would be happy to help. I'll hunt down an old document  with translated PSP terms. I'll put that on my to-do list.

@Linda J WalkerDon't stress yourself. You probably learn details as you watch the videos, even if you don't do it immediately. We know that other things do happen. Unfortunately, PSP is not always the priority.

@Anja PelzerThat is a very interesting scalloped frame. Did you do it from scratch? I love that multiple frame. The shading is perfect too. You had great brushes to create the edge of your mask.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm working on catching up.  I did do Project 4.  Making the mask was interesting.  Working on the picture you choose was great.  I do like the McBad brushes if you use the F11 Brush Variance.  However, I still do not understand it, but Carole shows us what settings to use.  The picture is of Joe and Lucy on the NC beach last spring.  I had fun making a silhouette of them.  I did a kaleidascope (I can't spell) from the picture with a darken blend mode and then put a layer on top of white canvas which I texturized and used an Overlay bend mode and opacity of 83.  Think it turned out pretty good.  You can just barely see the kaleidascope pattern and so it doesn't distract from the picture.  The title font is Cattleya (CF) and the state and date is Free Universal. The cluster at the bottom is mine.

2023 Feb Mask Workshop Project 4_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 6

My grandson is in Mexico and sent me this picture saying that it would be perfect if his dog was in it. I selected the dog from another photo and instead of extracting it, I used a rectangular mask and used black to eliminate the mask around Chooch. It was so much easier than extracting! The only thing I worry about is the proportion of the dog and asked Matt to let me know if it is too small. If so, I will use a larger picture of Chooch.

matt600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Day 6 finally done. Used my own photo taken at the marina/park near where I live on a crisp autumn day. I spent way too much time on the lino effect and then playing with the frame. I wanted to try dynamic frame style but it really didn't work for me, so I opted to cut off a bit at the bottom right. Then,, when I thought I had something, I realized I'd forgotten the mask! I know what I want in my head, but it usually comes out differently in the layout.

2023 Feb Mask Day 6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Day 6 finally done. Used my own photo taken at the marina/park near where I live on a crisp autumn day. I spent way too much time on the lino effect and then playing with the frame. I wanted to try dynamic frame style but it really didn't work for me, so I opted to cut off a bit at the bottom right. Then,, when I thought I had something, I realized I'd forgotten the mask! I know what I want in my head, but it usually comes out differently in the layout.

2023 Feb Mask Day 6.jpg

Julie, this is really beautiful.  I miss seeing cormorants.  Your lino background is really nice and fitting with the rocks in the photo.   I know what you mean, what I first envision isnt what the end result is.  Often thought, inspiration takes you in a different direction.  I like what you did with the frame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

2023 Feb Mask Day 6.jpg

Love the background! Perfect!

• Like 1

Day 6 Diamond Extra.  

I tweaked the blue frame by the little circle. Made it bigger and used it as a frame, as the inner frame seemed distracting.  It was hard to find a background I liked.  I tried many versions of the lino paper but could find one I liked.  Used a gradient that seemed like the sky... and now having typed that I could have found a photo with the actual sky.  Font is Adobe Devanagari and the water droplets on the sign are from Digital Scrapbook - Jessica Dunn Coastal Spring Water Droplets.  You can see in the smaller photo that I was shooting through the window.  You can see a reflection, sometimes there is no getting away from it.  Angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection... sometimes you just cant get out of the angle. I hate physics.  

MasksWS Day 6 Diamond Xtra-Bath House-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Haha 1
  • Love 5

16 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Marie-ClaireIs it possible that you had merged all the frames before adding the shadow? The 3D effect would be more obvious if the shadows were added before the merge as they could shadow the frames individually. And I am not tired of seeing Poncho!

yes I merged the frames and then applied the shadow. I wasn't sure how to do it. Because I interlaced them at the bottom
Thank you.

After a busy 2 days (lunch with out of town family, then funeral visitation on Friday and the funeral on Saturday with a wedding last evening), I have finally had time to do the last 3 days.

Day 5:

I used a snowflake brush for the mask then made the snowflakes following the Snowflake (2) tutorial in Lab 9, Module 12. I used a flood fill for the background, blending it with ps_elif-sahin_196132_gold-textures-texture-08-template_pu (Darken 100). Igloo Caps is the font.large.753564104_MW2023Day5-600.jpg.7b80241d5fa11526e3a917a3aa91f91d.jpg

Day 6:

I made a bunch of linoleum papers and chose 2 that I felt worked the best. The yellowish one was then used as a frame and has an inner bevel. The background is blended with an RGB of 77-119-60 (Multiply 100) for the background. Font is Only By Request.

large.1049803122_MW2023Day6-600.jpg.f126c9fdf6d59934c022fa5b2ef573aa.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 4