Mask Workshop 2023

Cassel

20 hours ago, Leslie Jostes said:

I'm already off to a rough start...where do I find a .psd template? I downloaded the Escale Amoureuse - Parts 1 and 2... and the Greeting Card template.  Help!   .... Obviously I need more help than I realized - I thought that I had posted this comment back on Monday or Tuesday!  

Hi Leslie. Many of the scrapbook designers give template freebies either occasionally or regularly, sometimes through their blogs or FB pages, and often through various blogtrains. I have three good and safe sites for you to browse in.

If you want somewhere easy to start, try the blogtrain by ALFLT (a love for layout templates). It comes out every 2 months (Feb is the current one) with about 12 free templates though you do have to hop from one contributor's link to the next to get them all.  Their templates are a bit more complicated and perhaps not the best to start with but you can build up quite a stash if you follow their blogtrain regularly. Here is the link     ALFLT OFFICIAL BLOG/FB TRAIN FAN GROUP | Facebook 

The DCS forum also hosts free blogtrain template from their designers (the Escale Amoureuse kit that you downloaded in lesson 1 was from one of the designers there). They offer things other than just templates so the quickest way is to go to their main page and in the top right corner is a search area where you can enter "templates"). They do groups of 6-10 templates at a time. Their templates are a bit simpler with less layers and fussy bits than in some other places so are easier to use when you are learning something.  Here is the link   The DCS Forum Blog (le-blog-clean-et-simple.blogspot.com)   

Then there is the Digital Scrapbook forum which has a lot of free templates but if you register as a free user, you are limited to the types & numbers of things that you can download free. it is worth a look at   Browse Graphics | DigitalScrapbook.com Digital Scrapbooking  but be careful to use your daily download limits for the psd rather than the jpg of any item as I made that mistake myself a number of times.  

canada2 Sharon.png

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

On 2/17/2023 at 2:29 PM, Susan Ewart said:

Day 3 Diamond Extra.  I call this new baby of 2022 Spider Squirrely, the second.  Because after some trial-be-panic learning it became adept at scampering along the rock/glass chip siding of the garage. Remember that stuff from the 60-70's, hurt like crazy if you scraped yourself on it?  Turns out, it's great for Squirrels and birds to cling to.  I came up from the basement and looked out the window to see the neighbours cat chasing it, and up the wall it went.  You could see it was rocky.  I was banging on the window and hubby was out the door to yell at the cat.  It's only the second squirrel we've seen do that.  If I had been able to take a front shot it would have been Super Squirrel as he is in the super hero pose.  As it might turn out, he could be a she.  The one in our feeder right now looks pudgy, so might have some babies (in our closed-in shed off the garage - there's been several families in there over the years). 

I think I tried every wrong way to isolate the brackets of the mask and finally remembered about Preset Vector shapes (yay for all the master classes, Q&A's and tutorials - I remember about the preset shapes!).  Once I did that I could add a bevel to that shape that I intended to do right from seeing the mask.  This layout is similar to other Day layout, they are a set, since it's the same squirrel on the same day.  I did the same type of thing for the Kaleidoscope background.  Black layer below it, then lower the kaleidoscope layers opacity.  this was also set to a small size and I think I did 30% angle.

MasksWS Day 3 Diamond Xtra-SpiderSquirrel-600.jpg

Hi Susan. I love how you have the mask breaking into the inner frame. Neat idea.... have to save that for using myself. many thanks. Sharon

19 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Day 5: I spent the most time trying to get the text on a curve! That always gives me trouble, but I finally realized what I was doing wrong. Used a background paper with an overlay blended with soft light. The pic is mine from a cold, snowy day. It's costing me a small fortune to keep all the critters fed in the cold weather. But I can't say no.

2023 Feb Mask Day 5_600.jpg

Hi Julie. I also struggle with text on a path/curve. Even though I printed out the instructions for it several years ago, I still hate using it even though I love the effect. If only someone would develop a keyboard shortcut for it........ Sharon

• Like 2

I had a really hard time with Lesson 5's project, finding a picture, getting the size of the photo right, getting the size of the circle right (though I'm still not sure of that), finding the right brushes, etc.  I'm not sure if this project properly hits the points that we were supposed to hit, but here goes.  This is Annie.  She was one of ours.

annie-Mask-Lesson5-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, sharon thompson said:

Hi Susan. I love how you have the mask breaking into the inner frame. Neat idea.... have to save that for using myself. many thanks. Sharon

HI Sharon, the mask in that tutorial had the broken type frame as part of the mask, but I edited it out so I could make my own frame using the preset shape tool (a new thing for me!) and then using guides I made selections to take part of the frame away.  All newish stuff for me.  Getting braver and braver with PSP.  Give it a try.  It's based on Carole's design, she deserves the real credit.

• WOW 2

Day 6.  All about Linoleum paper.  It's almost as fun kaleidoscope paper.  This is two lino papers (a yellow and light brown one), with the yellow as the top layer I used multiply and it gave me a darker brown.  but it wasnt dark enough so I put a black layer under the two lino layers and reduced the opacity of the middle of these three layers (or the layer above the black which was the light brown one).  That way I got it dark and moody for the shot.  The moon and clouds are a composite shot of two photo's taken less than a minute a part.  I extracted the moon and placed it over the blown out white moon that was in the cloud photo.  

Font: Risen (from Creative Fabrica)

Quote: Frederick L. Knowles (found by searching "moon at night quotes")

Photos: mine from Oct. 2022

I'm feeling more comfortable on my second time through the Masks Workshop and trying for adventures things:  like the preset shape tool....I know, going where I've never gone before.?

MasksWS Day 6 composite moon-600.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 6

It has been an unbelievably busy week here. I got day one and two partially done but then was not able to scrap...thank goodness for Friday and Saturday (today). I am caught up until Day 7 lesson arrives. I do not like to use patterened backgrounds so this was a challenge for me. I did it but am not sure I like the results. I made many plaids, kaliedoscopes and linoleums until I found something close to my likeing it.

I went all the way back to December, 2008 for these photos. Friends and I met in Nashville and toured the Opry Mills Mall, Opryland Hotel inside and outside Christmas decorations and attended the Grand Ole Opry in the Ryman Auditorium, the original home of the Grand Ole Opry. Sadly, there are no photos of the Opry. It was a great trip...one to be remembered.

This is Day 1.

2018 12 1 Opry Mills Alinamaria_DCS_templates artsy-juin2018 600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 6

Already day 6 of this workshop and there are so many fantastic layouts done wich such a diversityof subjects!

I saved this photo specific for this tutorial; it's not the first time I do this workshop! The fungus in my photo is called a "Sponzenzwam" and if I translate to English it is "Sponge fungus". Not surprising, it really looks like a sponge and I think the linoleum background from the tutorial has something of a sponge too, so it fits. To get the effect I wanted I used a blendmode. Made a simple round frame and put a sponge that I had in my stash as embellishment. This is a fungus that you can eat, for instance just as mushrooms in a sauce or pastadish.

Mask Workshop - 2023 - day 6-600.jpg

• Love 8

Late start (surgery). Took me close to 10 hours to do my 1st lesson. ? I don't use PSP that often and have to hunt for the tools after I figure out which tool I have to use. Really need to start using PSP more than Zoner 18 Pro. At any rate, here's my stab at lesson 1. The words in French I translated as much as I could. Translation had no idea on some of the words.

The Gang

Edited by Ron
  • Like 4
  • Love 6

I used a couple of photos sent to me by my grandson. He lives in Las Vegas and loves the desert. The picture of him sitting on rocks is actually an extraction of him sitting in a tree. I then sat him on some rocks that I had photographed for texture and masked it. I liked the smaller sized background as it reminded me of rocks you would fine in the desert. The large font is called Rainho from deeezy.com, the smaller font is from my Hallmark program appropriately called Handlebar. The small bicycle in the corner is a ding from wmtransport font.

desertbike600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Already day 6 of this workshop and there are so many fantastic layouts done wich such a diversityof subjects!

I saved this photo specific for this tutorial; it's not the first time I do this workshop! The fungus in my photo is called a "Sponzenzwam" and if I translate to English it is "Sponge fungus". Not surprising, it really looks like a sponge and I think the linoleum background from the tutorial has something of a sponge too, so it fits. To get the effect I wanted I used a blendmode. Made a simple round frame and put a sponge that I had in my stash as embellishment. This is a fungus that you can eat, for instance just as mushrooms in a sauce or pastadish.

Mask Workshop - 2023 - day 6-600.jpg

Corrie, that is a perfect lino background.  It looks so much like that sponge-shroom.  Which is really beautiful by the way, it looks more like a flower than a mushroom.  I cant believe how many different ones you have there.  I recently read a very interesting article on mushrooms.  they are really fascinating.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ron said:

Late start (surgery). Took me close to 10 hours to do my 1st lesson. ? I don't use PSP that often and have to hunt for the tools after I figure out which tool I have to use. Really need to start using PSP more than Zoner 18 Pro. At any rate, here's my stab at lesson 1. The words in French I translated as much as I could. Translation had no idea on some of the words.

The Gang

So sweet Ron.  Love the look on Simba's face.  So cute they all sleep together.  Good to hear you are on the recovery road and working on PSP.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Carole you asked about the word "Goudvliesbundelzwam" and it really is one word in Dutch! When I translate to English the litteral translation read as: "Golden skin bundle fungus" which as you see the picture of it, comes very close. Languages never stop to amaze me.

I agree.  Really good input from everyone and so many inspiring layouts.  O[ops, I answered in the wrong quote.  I agree about so many wonderful layouts.

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Thanks 1