Mask Workshop 2023

Cassel

48 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Two paragraphs below where you found the links to the Escale Amoureuse, you will find a mention of Alinamaria's template and a link to her blog. There, scroll down a bit until you find the word TELECHARGEMENT under the template. That will bring you to Mediafire, a hosting site. You will see the big blue button saying DOWNLOAD (37.29MB) on the right. That is where you click to download it. I have to admit that Mediafire, like many other hosting sites can be a nightmare to navigate!  Let me know if you find it.

I found the link!  Thank you!

6 hours ago, sharon thompson said:

I now have a profound respect for people who make those ornate masks as it certainly isn't easy. I couldn't quite get what I was going for in this lesson but attempt 5 was better than its predecessors. The bottom text is not fully centered as I prefer to offset text a bit if I am using elements in only one corner. I probably should have stayed with a watercolor brush for the dog and just kept the snowflake brushes for the corner as the dog was on a dark background. Anyway, I compensated a bit by adding a white drop shadow to the masked image. The paper is from Rawpixel, and the font is Cotton Candies. The "Magical Snowflakes" brush set is by Papercaptain on Deviant Art and is still available for a free download of anyone wants them.  

mask lesson5 sharon.jpg

What an adorable face, and a great layout!

• Like 1

Day 5: I spent the most time trying to get the text on a curve! That always gives me trouble, but I finally realized what I was doing wrong. Used a background paper with an overlay blended with soft light. The pic is mine from a cold, snowy day. It's costing me a small fortune to keep all the critters fed in the cold weather. But I can't say no.

2023 Feb Mask Day 5_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 8

6 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 3 Diamond Extra.  I call this new baby of 2022 Spider Squirrely, the second.  Because after some trial-be-panic learning it became adept at scampering along the rock/glass chip siding of the garage. Remember that stuff from the 60-70's, hurt like crazy if you scraped yourself on it?  Turns out, it's great for Squirrels and birds to cling to.  I came up from the basement and looked out the window to see the neighbours cat chasing it, and up the wall it went.  You could see it was rocky.  I was banging on the window and hubby was out the door to yell at the cat.  It's only the second squirrel we've seen do that.  If I had been able to take a front shot it would have been Super Squirrel as he is in the super hero pose.  As it might turn out, he could be a she.  The one in our feeder right now looks pudgy, so might have some babies (in our closed-in shed off the garage - there's been several families in there over the years). 

I think I tried every wrong way to isolate the brackets of the mask and finally remembered about Preset Vector shapes (yay for all the master classes, Q&A's and tutorials - I remember about the preset shapes!).  Once I did that I could add a bevel to that shape that I intended to do right from seeing the mask.  This layout is similar to other Day layout, they are a set, since it's the same squirrel on the same day.  I did the same type of thing for the Kaleidoscope background.  Black layer below it, then lower the kaleidoscope layers opacity.  this was also set to a small size and I think I did 30% angle.

MasksWS Day 3 Diamond Xtra-SpiderSquirrel-600.jpg

You sure got some cute squirrels in your 'hood!

I've done this workshop several times.  Why is it so hard this time?  This is the Extra for Project 3.  The frame with the hearts had me going for hours trying to get it pink and not covering the picture.  I saw where Ann Seeber said  "I put an extra mat behind the mask group in order to color the framing and hearts." and so I did.  Thank you, Ann.  Then I spent several hours trying to get a background.  I ended up with 3 layers: the perspective lines, a kaleidescope from a part of the picture, and a patterned layer of Canvas - all with different blend modes.  The font is Feeling Blessed from CF.

2023 Feb Mask Workshop Extra 3_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Day 5: I spent the most time trying to get the text on a curve! That always gives me trouble, but I finally realized what I was doing wrong. Used a background paper with an overlay blended with soft light. The pic is mine from a cold, snowy day. It's costing me a small fortune to keep all the critters fed in the cold weather. But I can't say no.

2023 Feb Mask Day 5_600.jpg

You have great neighbours too.  This one looks like he's/she's wrapped up in a mink coat.  Really plush looking.  I know what you mean about a small fortune feeding them.  They give me great pleasure (along with the birds).  Cheaper than therapy too.

@GabrielaGreat layout. You used a nice combination of elements to make a cohesive page.

@Susan EwartYou should consider adding that story to the page. It is a cute story and would certainly add to the smile it will produce on any reader's face. It is great to see you experiment to find what you like. For the intertwined frames, you can review the Dynamic frames masterclass.

@Mary SolaasSometimes, I also forget that simple things are not always obvious to everyone. I am sure you will make more frames in the future! The reason it seem harder is probably because every time, you try harder and newer techniques ?

@Anja PelzerYou did a great job with the brushwork on that paper! 

@Julie MagerkaYes, when creating your own mask, you can adjust it to what you want to show or hide on a photo and nobody would know better! Text on a path might be a challenge at first, but once you get the hang of it, you will never forget.

@Ann SeeberThe banding will only show with gradient. Maybe it was there but not as obvious in other projects?  Or the compression might also have been different on different gradients too. For the Brush Variance palette, there are two Master classes on the topic. You might want to review those.  Out of curiosity, what is the compression setting you are using? The pixellation around the text seems a bit more than usual.

@Hank SobahIn order to avoid seeing a straight edge, you can tweak the mask (like on the top) or slightly enlarge the photo to "hide" that edge. Did you try that?

@Linda LarsenIf you are having as much fun as those in the photos, it will be a success! Great work!

@TonimarieThis is only a tiny sample of what is inside. Looking forward to seeing you on the inside too. Nice layout.

@sharon thompsonYou did great with that mask. Although it is not easy when you start, with some practice, you will see that will become more automatic and will make sense more and more.

@MoniqueN. if you want to create layouts with images that need to be blurred, we would understand and it would still be lovely to see. You know of different ways to hide faces? There is a blog post about that.

@Donna Sillia To answer your request for comments about the shadows, you might need to move the shadow at the tip of the skis, toward the bottom to give the impression of lifted/curved tips. You might need to use the Warp Brush to do that. Can you try? For the snowflakes masks, I think you did a good job. Sometimes, the design will look good when the edges of the "main shape" is sharp, other times, it looks better if it is blurred. And sometimes, it is also a matter of what the image is. 

@Gerry LandrethNice way to use those corner punches. Glad to see the new brushes too.

@Corrie KinkelThat is an example of those interlocking frames that @Susan Ewartis looking for! great mask!

@Leslie Jostes I am not sure why but you are not the only one with issues with the links to Escale Amoureuse. For anyone else who has issues, can you try these links:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/Scrapbook_Campus_files/PBS-Escale_Amoureuse-Partie1.zip 
http://s3.amazonaws.com/Scrapbook_Campus_files/PBS-Escale_Amoureuse-Partie2.zip

We are heading toward the last two lessons. If you have not posted yet, don't worry, it is never too late to start! The tutorials will stay available for an extra week after Sunday to help you. Of course, DIAMOND members keep access during all their membership.

Day 5.  I'm burning the mid night oil, after a most enjoyable day  hiking  in the river hills, in  mild weather for the time of year.   I used  2 overlays  for the background paper.  Created a mask using  a swirl brush and the vector paint script.  All I had to do  was apply  that  mask to the photo.  (layers, new mask layer, from image)

Day 5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 7

6 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

And here is day 5.  When making the selection for the mask I used an octagon because of the shape of the mushroom in the photo. This photo was taken in the fall hence the leaves in the mask. The background is made of 2 papers that had the same colors as in the photo with the blend mode set to color and a slightly reduced opacity. After that an overlay with leaves, 2 frames with one over and under the other, thank you Sue T for that idea! The font is Chalk and Friend 4.

Mask Workshop - 2023 - day 5-600.jpg

Corrie, another  lovely  fungi page.  I'm delighted to have  given you the idea for the framing. I've been doing that kind of framing for years, along with adding fonts and brushes to the frames, and lifting the corners of photos over the frame.  It adds a really nice touch to any  page.  If my memory serves me well  Susan Ewart, Carole did a master class several months back, I think it's called dynamic frames, where Carole demonstrates how to create  the over and under frames, and other cool frames.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Corrie, another  lovely  fungi page.  I'm delighted to have  given you the idea for the framing. I've been doing that kind of framing for years, along with adding fonts and brushes to the frames, and lifting the corners of photos over the frame.  It adds a really nice touch to any  page.  If my memory serves me well  Susan Ewart, Carole did a master class several months back, I think it's called dynamic frames, where Carole demonstrates how to create  the over and under frames, and other cool frames.

Thank you Sue, Carole did mention that.  So hard to remember all the masterclasses and what was in each one.  I'm glad the rest of you have a much better memory than I do.

• Like 1

Day 4 in the bag!  I'm finally catching up.  Around the same time as the baby squirrely whitetail showed up, this pigeon showed up, strutting her white finery.  It left me wondering what's going on, all the wildlife turning up with white pants and white tailcoats.  Even the local famous white Magpie made an appearance in my yard this year, far from it's normal territory.  None of my pictures were good enough to show this strange sight.  When it spreads it's wing and fans it's tail feathers in take off it looks like an angel.  So cool.  The pigeons are quite comical and thier eye makes them look a little crazy and scatter-brained.

Fonts used: Gill Sans Ultra Bold Condensed ("take a walk"), Gold Night ("on the"), Dancing Clarisha ("Crazy"), Good Morning Christmas ("side").  All from Creative Fabrica except Gill Sans...(windows).  I used Gina Jones Bright and Cheerful paper 06 for the background, two layers, on upside down and used a blend mode of lighten to get rid of the darker color on the paper.  Two borders were used, both by Sheila Reid - at the beach burlap border and Doodlelines page border (both Sheila and Gina are from Digital Scrapbook).   Photo's are mine

MasksWS 2023 Day 4-Crazy Side-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 7

4 hours ago, Cassel said:

Out of curiosity, what is the compression setting you are using? The pixellation around the text seems a bit more than usual.

Carole: I've always kept it set on 72 but I do see the pixelation now that you mention it. I think some of my troubles started when the Gallery rejected my upload last week and I tried again by reducing the number of colors used. 

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Sue, that's a very handsome mask. What exactly does the vector paint script do in this situation?

The vector paint script  does the same as the vector tube script,  follow a vector path. Instead of using a picture tube it uses a  brush. Both are free scripts by Levi in Carole's  store.

11 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

The vector paint script  does the same as the vector tube script,  follow a vector path. Instead of using a picture tube it uses a  brush. Both are free scripts by Levi in Carole's  store.

When creating this particular mask I used 2 layers,  which meant I  can edit each layer to my liking.  The  white circle I did on its own page, then copied and paste. I used different techniques  to what you have been shown in this workshop.  

35 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

I just looked and I do have both scripts, but they are way down the list and if they don't say "cass" initially I tend to miss them. Thanks. I'll have to experiment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MoniqueN. said:

@CaroleIn lesson 2 a little part of the mask is on the face of the man  in the picture. Sometimes you have that, is there a way to erase parts of a mask? Maybe simple with the erase tool??

Remember that you can always tweak a mask by brushing some black or white in strategic places, so you can always have the "perfect" mask at your fingertips.

• Like 1

I ended up using the mask to "extract" the bird. The double, transparent frame is a PSP frame. The chains are a Picture Tube. I made the rings from circular selections, filled with a gold gradient. The bird photo is by Kim Gragert. Kestrels are pretty, colorful little falcons but I've never seen one in person.

DAY 6 - AMERICAN KESTREL_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 8

On 2/17/2023 at 3:26 AM, Ann Seeber said:

Lesley, what sort of occupation do you have that entails dogs as clients? Sounds like a dream job! ?

@Ann SeeberI'm a pet sitter and dog walker.  Seven years ago after being a family law attorney for 10 years, I realized I liked dogs more than I liked people so I quit my job and never looked back.  It really is my dream job.

• Like 3
  • WOW 1
  • Love 2