Mask Workshop 2023

Cassel

And this is the 2nd extra for Day 2.

Carole, I did try using the other patterns at a lower scale, but they lost their beauty and just didn't work as well as the plaid.  Yes, I need to check out those other tutorials on the plaids - I remember that we did some different ones in the labs.

2023 Feb Mask Workshop Extra 2b.jpg

Edited by Mary Solaas
  • Like 8
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

As requested, some written instructions are now available as a bonus to our DIAMOND members. I uploaded them for days 1, 2, and 4 (tomorrow). I'll try to finish the others in the next day or two.

Where are you posting these written instructions? Thanks for this.

• Love 1

DAY 3 - CHERRY BLOSSOM ART by my daughter, Debbie Lennox. She said it's a "hand colored solar plate etching of the cherry blossoms" at her Big River Farm. Kaleidoscope pattern with an Exclusion layer effect background over paper from "lou lou love stopover" kit. I put an extra mat behind the mask group in order to color the framing and hearts. The font is Copperplate Gothic Bold. (This font strongly resembles Debbie's handwriting because she had to learn proper labeling when she trained as an architect -- she still prefers doing it by hand.)

DAY 3-CHERRY BLOSSOM ART_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 3
  • Love 6

On 2/15/2023 at 2:24 AM, Ann Seeber said:

I didn't see any instructions in French. I was referring to the template layers being labeled in French. I actually did use Google Translate to figure them out. LOL

Hi thought I am the only one, I couldn't d/l Lady22 sorry if i put the name wrong.   Just lost couldn't change to English's so hit a wall, i know them well.  In the past i tackled it but bravely and d/l so much lol not knowing what to click on took me a long time to clear up all that on my desktop lol live an learn and Wanting to live for the first time in my life  (for real)   Weird I know its my life, lol  but Love you guys!

This is from Day 3

Kaleidoscope effect I've always used it as a border, but I never considered using it as a background. AWESOME! 

In the photo, that is Mr. Philly. I recused him last year from a terrible living situation. He is living his best life now ?

wondering if my drop shadows look terrible? I have been practicing since the bootcamp lessons.

Everyone's photos are beautiful. I love seeing everyone's work. ? 

maskworkshop03phily.jpg

maskworkshop03.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 5

I used a picture of my girlfriend from a long time ago when we both boarded our horse at the same farm.  I used the original photo to create a pattern for the background and then used the photo again in  kaleidoscope .  I put the K. on top of the P one and reduced the opacity  a little bit.

6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 3

DAY 4 - SNOWY OWL - I used a gradient called Sunset for the background. The font is Mama. I was seeing a strange horizontal blinds texture on the background that I didn't apply. We'll see if it shows up here. -- Yep, I still see it. ??

DAY 4-SNOWY OWL_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 2
  • Love 6

Again blended a flood filled layer with a texture (ps_elif-sahin_79380_dear-old-dad-paper-texture-02_pu). This time using Color at 100. Font is PT Orchid Bold.

The mask was done on the lightpost photo. The brick photo was added to a layer below and the mask altered to show it as well.

large.1504145953_MW2023Day4-600.jpg.11e80a18bdd1dd7f4bd1bd1ea43179bb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Day 4.  I applied 2 overlays to the background paper.  Extracted the  notice from a photo, perspective,  placed it just a tad under the rope.  I wanted to make a visual reference,  As a reference to the rope is  in the  notice.   It's the same notice which my granddaughter  is reading out to me.  She had memorized the words, as she had been there many times before.   Which reads, in case  it's not very legible, after being resized down.

Ssssh, the Mud Maid is sleeping, Please do not climb over the fence, step on her moss blanket, or disturb her dreams. Thank you.  

Ann, I afraid I don't have an answer for the gradient.  I haven't experienced that before.  With regard to your text,  I notice that your joined up writing isn't joined up. Was the kerning set to 0, if it was try   a  minus number to join the letters.  A lovely  Male Snowy,  I see far more females, than males.  Maybe because they are harder to spot, being almost all snow white. 

Day 4a.jpg

• Like 2
  • WOW 1
  • Love 6

15 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

With regard to your text, I notice that your joined up writing isn't joined up. Was the kerning set to 0, if it was try a minus number to join the letters.

Thank you, Sue. I didn't notice it was separated like that until you pointed it out. I'll check next time. Thanks, again.

14 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Ann, that is strange, does the same thing happen  when you  save it  as a PNG file?  Before saving as a jpeg,  do you merge all (flatten)  before you resize and then save.   Perhaps Carole will  have an explanation.

I was trying saving as a .png while you were answering. It is perfect as a .png! (I also fixed the kerning) Now I'm curious if I make a copy of the pspimage and flatten it first before making a jpg maybe that would work. Back to the monitor! ?

DAY 4-SNOWY OWL_600.png

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Now I'm curious if I make a copy of the pspimage and flatten it first before making a jpg maybe that would work. Back to the monitor! ?

Tried the experiment with flattening the pspimage file but the jpg conversion created the texture again. Oh well, it's probably that particular gradient. 

• Like 1