Mask Workshop 2023

Cassel

I had forgotten how we had made that plaid for this mask.  I kept trying to remember how we had done it with the rotating mirror.  So, duh, I listened to the tutorial.  Oh, Yeah!!!!  So now I will try to remember how to make this plaid.  Again I chose Memphis for the theme.  The main pic is one I took from a painting on the wall of one of my favorite fast food places here.  The other pics: the Big M bridge lit up was taken by my daughter, Anna.  I took the St. Jude pic.  The brad I used is one I developed to represent the pyramid in Memphis.  The font used is Ambrogio.

2023 Feb Mask Workshop Project-2_600.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I have to say that using masks is getting ingrained in my brain since I'm doing so many at once. I actually started working through the Mask Workshop in the past workshops in the Diamond area over the weekend. That helped to refresh my memory on doing them. I had not completed last year because of the computer issues so those layouts I did I labeled as 2022. Then started 2023 layouts on Monday. That has really helped me get the steps down.

Here is the 2023 extra mask for Day 3. I again blended a texture using burn at 100 (ps_elif-sahin_196131_gold-textures-texture-07-template_pu) with a flood filled layer (color 123-150-67) for the background. This is my 5 year old Havanese, Peyton, enjoying some sunshine on the patio.

large.1854279218_MW2023Day3Extra-600.jpg.af828bb28ffb8e455f6addc276520d91.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 7

Day 2 Winter theme.  Monochromatic with a little button (Janet Scott, Brown Button 2, Digital Scrapbook) to warm it up a bit. I'd forgotten how fun making plaids can be.  I changed big mask for quite some time to fit what I wanted. And I had to (on the mask layer) take a brush and blot out (using black) some of the mask that extended beyond the photo edges.  I duplicated the image of the bottom square and put it in the upper mask to fit the top of the tree in.  Font is Adinda Sayang (Creative Fabrica).  Slowly, I'm getting through.  Time seems to be elusive right now, and there is no reason for it (except maybe my bad management of it).  

MasksWS Day 2-Winter-600.jpg

• Like 4
  • WOW 1
  • Love 5

3 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I knew what I was going to do for today's page last night.  I had already chosen the photos. I started last night by trying to replicate the label on the poster photo.  Using  a font bracket, and got as close  as I could to replicating the font used.   Used a slightly different font, and  font dingbats for the Love label.   We were frequent visitors to  Heligan,  which is in Cornwall. The estate owned by the same family for 400 yrs.  In the 1970's the house was converted to flats, The gardens were neglected,  then  in 1990 this sleeping beauty was discovered and re-awakened.  Becoming Europe's largest garden restoration.  A truly magical place for  the young and old.  

Day 3.jpg

There was an item on Dutch television about these gardens not so long ago on a programme about gardening that I like to watch! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I had already decided that I wanted this photo to use somewhere in this workshop and this is the perfect mask for it. I played too many hours with the kaleidoskop, I forgot how addictive it is as I haven't used it for a while. With all new and exciting things to learn it is easy to forget the older ones. It is a simple layout because when I added some embellishments  it didn't work out wel. I think that the photo and the name of the mushroom in bloodred is enough. The name translates in English as Bloodred Russula. To let it stand out I gave it a bevel and the paint behind let it stand out.

Mask Workshop -2023 - Extra-600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 7

Corrie, I love fungi, lichen and mosses.  Here, we don't get the variety, and quantity, like a home.  I have loads of pics of fungi, which I take every time I go home.

If the opportunity ever arises to visit Heligan, take it!  Their Delhia garden is phenomenal. You'd love it.  During my time home we made 3 trips there.  Spending the whole day each time.  Taking packed lunches for picnics.  

• Love 1

The nondescript photo of the night sky was taken just after I moved here from Miami, which is plagued by light pollution. Viewing celestial events, such as eclipses or meteor showers, were impossible to see. Even enjoying a starry night was out of the question. There are no streetlights where I live, so I took a moment to enjoy the night sky.

I forgot to attribute the quote. It is from that prolific master of words, Unknown.

The colors of the kaleidoscope didn't work so I used one as an overlay for texture. 

GNL_MaskWorshop_Day_3_600.jpg

GNL_MaskWorshopExtra3_Day_3_600.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Like 2
  • Love 9

The idea for this page came from a librarian friend who came over for tea today and wanted a small poster for an upcoming reading week display. I couldn't find a good copyrite free picture of the Beast's library so we trolled the internet looking at photos of historic libraries before we settled on the Klementinum library in Prague. Then I had to find a png mask that could be elongated to accomodate the photo. I chose a png mask without a lot of grey edging as the library photo was very detailed and I didn't want to loose much of it.  The lottery and money images were from free clipart sites. The font is MV Boli. The background papers is from Freepik. Doing the masking is getting easier but matching orientation & sizing can take time. And I keep forgetting about that pick tool when moving things around. 

mask lesson3 Sharon.jpg

• Like 6
  • WOW 1
  • Love 2

I'm loving all these dog pictures from so many folks.  I love them all!
This is Leo.  He was one of my clients but he moved away.  Lots of tears that day.  ?

@CasselYes, on the lesson 2 project, I did use shadows on my smaller photos, but my settings were only 5, 5, 80, and 5.

I made the background paper and love the way it turned out.  I can't believe how easy this was.

Leo-Mask-Lesson3-600.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3

I know this is the 3rd day of the Mask workshop, but I'm behind.  This is the extra for Day 2.  The large photo is by Laurie Solaas, the 2 small photos are by Chris Solaas.  The paper and elements are mine.  the font is Aryaduta and inner bevelled and shadowed.  I chose plaid again for the background.  Used the colors from the ocean in the big pic.  Using that same rectangle, I did a kaleidiscope pattern and a reflected pattern which I liked, but they were too powerful for the layout.  I'll show those also.

2023 Feb Mask Workshop Extra 2_600.jpg

MLS Pattern Kal. Ocean.jpg

MLS Pattern Ref. Pattern Ocean.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 7

So many wonderful projects posted!

@Ann SeeberYes, Cupidon is the French name for Cupid ? The striped title is a really nice touch and matches the topic!

@Tonimarie, as Susan mentioned, the "fainter" color means that the mask was grey.

@Hank Sobahadding more than one element inside a mask group is not typical, but as you show, it gives interesting results. You must have reduced the opacity of the top layer, right?

@Julie MagerkaIsn't it amazing how a little detail is sometimes just enough to give a finishing touch?

@Sue ThomasI love to look at your projects and always discover little details here and there, like the lifted shadows and the delicate shading.

@Rene MarkerI like both backgrounds, but the red one is definitely "richer" and contrasts with the photo, making it stand out. Those patterned papers can yield such different results! Glad that the process is getting more automatic for using Masks. It looks like you are having great fun with those papers!

@Anne LampIt looks like you managed to do that mask. In order to see those faint edges more, I would suggest you either reduce the scale of the pattern (if it is a pattern) or apply a solid color with reduced opacity to still show the pattern behind (referring to the first layout). On the second one, it seems more proportionate. By the third project, I think you are getting the hang of it.

@Mary SolaasIf you want an additional challenge, check the list of tutorials in the membership; there are 4 different tutorials for different types of plaids! When patterns seem overpowering, one way to tame them is to reduce the scale. Did you try that?

@Marie-ClaireThat was such a great choice to apply an effect to the paper. By exploring those commands, we can discover some really neat tricks (wait until Day 6 to see what "accident" I discovered!)

@Susan EwartGlad to see that you are comfortable enough to start manipulating those masks layers. This will open a lot of possibilities for you.

@Corrie KinkelI am not responsible for addictions to plaids, kaleidoscope, and the upcoming tutorials! ?

@Anja Pelzerdid you use a photo for the fill of the title? It looks great.

@SuzyI wonder if those turtoises didn't play with your PSP while you were not looking??

@Linda LarsenWelcome to the Campus and this workshop. Your first project is very well done. Yes, learning about masks will be a great addition to your "toolbox" with PSP.

@Gerry LandrethLovely photo. What is the font you used? I love those monoline fonts!

@Donna SilliaDid you use the mask as a mask or did you "paint" it? That is quite a photo to cherish!

@sharon thompsonWith practice, you will see how you can tweak or even create your own masks when you don't have the perfect one on hand.

@GabrielaSuch a nice matching background (or course!). You did a great job.

@Lesley MapleSo many techniques are very easy (and addictive too). Be careful!! ?

@Carol Anne WallIs there any pink at all in the selection you started with? The command will only use the colors included. Could you show what section you used that seem to always give you that pink?

@Linda J WalkerIf you want, you can combine all the strips together to make a single layer mask, but you can also just use them to colorize them and show as a "mat" under the photo. 

As requested, some written instructions are now available as a bonus to our DIAMOND members. I uploaded them for days 1, 2, and 4 (tomorrow). I'll try to finish the others in the next day or two.

• Thanks 1