Mask Workshop 2023

Cassel

I was working on some Scottish themed tags for friends so though I would continue the same theme here. I found that I have to rename all the template layers before I even start and then renamed them again as I add things.... best way to not get too confused. I snagged the haggis images from internet food sites. The paper is from Aleksander Gusev over at Creative Fabrica. The font is intensa fuente. Sharon

mask lesson 2 sharon.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

In between doing laundry and phone calls about a funeral this weekend, I managed to work on some more of the workshop.

Day 1 Extra. I flood filled the background then did a blend on it with a texture from Elif Sahlin (#196129) at Digital Scrapbook. For the title, I duplicated the vector layer, changed the color, then rasterized it. I then moved the raster layer below the vector layer and using the pick tool, offset it a little from the vector layer. I also linked the layers so if I moved one, they both moved.

large.860974849_MW2023Day1Extra-600.jpg.d4e28b275db31d794d4349cc6ddc51a5.jpg

For Day 2, I rotated the template 90 degrees to the right. I made the background paper using the Variegated paper tutorial. I made the Corner Cut out using the tutorial from Lab 13, Module 2. I filled the center with the variegated paper.  The font is Tracy. I also did a blend on the Variegated paper with a layer of white below it.

large.376927786_MW2023Day2-600.jpg.9e72b1d36e8e0c894383203e5a598860.jpg

Day 2 Extra.

I flood filled the background then blended it with a texture by Elif Sahlin (#196132) from Digital Scrapbook. Font is Tracy.

large.312741049_MW2023Day2extra-600.jpg.b1a089366e7037e6593d7c902b1a3f99.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 10

The pictures are of my husband taken at the Red Rock Canyon near Las Vegas. I made the plaid from a desert picture using the workshop on making plain from a picture. I flood filled the white frames with a dark glitter pattern. The font is Gowdy Stout made as a selection on the background of one of my Red Rock pictures. It has an inner and outer bevel and drop shadow. The bottom and top cutouts were made using Carole's edge brushes, then beveled. The succulents are a tube.

redrockdone600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 7

Hi.  That plaid trick is wicked cool  really neat.  (Gah, I've live in Massachusetts too long and I'm picking up the slang over here).  I made the plaid from a photo that I decided not to use but I still felt that the plaid I made from it worked.   I remembered my shadows this time, too.

Purple-Mask-Lesson2-600.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 8

Day 1 - Diamond Extra.  This one is for Ann Seeber.  You wanted a photo of me...here is me and my whole family (sibs and parents).  ? My parents (Bob and Audrey - represented here by Western Salsify), are lovingly embraced while looking down towards us 4 kids.  What? you say, how can that be, surely we kids, with those stunning hair-do's cant be from Western Salsify.  You are quite right; we siblings are represented by Clematis Terniflora, which is another way to say, we are all Adopted!  In the bigger of the small masks is my oldest brother and my older sister and in the lower smaller mask is my other older brother and lastly me (with the crazy hair).  Incidently my older sister and the oldest brother are actually full blood brother and sister, but 2 years apart.  Ann, I will try and get a picture up soon, even if it's not a great one, I'm on a mission for you.

The important stuff:  Font is NS Blackbooks Victorian (Creative Fabrica, I think), and back ground is Brook Gazarek - Crisp Fall Air (Digital Scrapbook) that I darkened and desaturated.  Photo's are mine, photographed separately and composited using a blend mode (lighten).   

MasksWS 2023 Extra 1- Family Portrait 2-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 7

Wow, look at all those new projects!!!! I am so glad!!

@Susan EwartNo problem in starting late. As a DIAMOND member, you will  keep access permanently anyways! ?

@Ann SeeberBe careful not to distort the elements! Your Cupidons seem a little stretched. Maybe you used a square frame and applied it to a rectangular image? On your Day 2, did you add shadows on the small images? That owl really looks tired!

@kasanyIs there a privacy reason to hide this lady's face?

@Corrie KinkelI love your little signature on the card! Yes, using scripts can be a time saver. It is still a good review to do it manually, once in a blue moon.

@TonimarieYou will see that it will get easier with each project. Lovely card!

@Anja PelzerWonderful layout about your sister.

@Carol Anne WallYes, it is something that everyone should know about, but often, they don't know what they don't know. Beware: it can become addictive! ? I think that the plaid is ok. Maybe you can just reduce the scale if you want it less "powerful".

@Sue ThomasAs usual, your photos are so crisp!!!

@Leslie Jostes Looking forward to your projects.

@MoniqueN.I will work on transcription of the videos.

@Marie-ClaireI can always know whose layout it is when you show your four-legged model!

@Julie MagerkaDid you have shadows on the small images? Sometimes they "disappear" when you resize.

@Gerry LandrethYes, as they age, they seem to want to party with others than their family.

@sharon thompsonRenaming the layers might be useful, but typically, if you have the thumbnails it is not as essential. What version of PSP do you use?

@Rene MarkerThat texture is great on the page. Fun to see those tutorials "in action"!

@Donna SilliaThat plaid is perfectly matching your photo, obviously :). Be a little careful with the shadows on the title: it makes it look like it is floating.

@Lesley MapleThat plaid fits perfectly. It can get addictive too! Did you add shadows to the little photos?

@Gabriela No problem in "starting late. You will catch up for sure!

Keep up the great work. If you have not posted yet, we are waiting for you. If you have any issue, just ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Liz Hubbard said:

Too bad I can't read the instructions to know what to download, or the diagram labels on the mask instructions to figure out what to do.  I am not completely lost in using French, but there are special terms there which I don't know. I would not have signed up for a French language class with such minimal instructions if I had realized it. I think it could be presented in both official languages to be more inclusive.

Back to using the help files and Corel videos instead. Have fun!

I didn't see any instructions in French. I was referring to the template layers being labeled in French. I actually did use Google Translate to figure them out. LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 1 - Diamond Extra.  This one is for Ann Seeber.  You wanted a photo of me...here is me and my whole family (sibs and parents).  ? My parents (Bob and Audrey - represented here by Western Salsify), are lovingly embraced while looking down towards us 4 kids.  What? you say, how can that be, surely we kids, with those stunning hair-do's cant be from Western Salsify.  You are quite right; we siblings are represented by Clematis Terniflora, which is another way to say, we are all Adopted!  In the bigger of the small masks is my oldest brother and my older sister and in the lower smaller mask is my other older brother and lastly me (with the crazy hair).  Incidently my older sister and the oldest brother are actually full blood brother and sister, but 2 years apart.  Ann, I will try and get a picture up soon, even if it's not a great one, I'm on a mission for you.

The important stuff:  Font is NS Blackbooks Victorian (Creative Fabrica, I think), and back ground is Brook Gazarek - Crisp Fall Air (Digital Scrapbook) that I darkened and desaturated.  Photo's are mine, photographed separately and composited using a blend mode (lighten).   

MasksWS 2023 Extra 1- Family Portrait 2-600.jpg

Susan, Love the hairdos - please share the name of the stylist! ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Ann SeeberBe careful not to distort the elements! Your Cupidons seem a little stretched. Maybe you used a square frame and applied it to a rectangular image?

@Cassel : Not sure what a Cupidon is...is that French for Cupid?  If you mean the Valentine PSP Frame, the program sizes it for your canvas but it does start out square. It seems I forgot those shadows you mentioned, also.

Here's my 6 year old Amiya. She loves her photo taken ?

I think I'm doing something wrong ? lol

Everything looks kind of see-through ishhhh 

Going to do the next project and maybe re try this one again 

BUT! How cool to learn the plaid trick!

Amazing Cant wait to see what new backgrounds I can do with that! Thank you ?

maskworkshop02.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 4

15 minutes ago, Tonimarie said:

Here's my 6 year old Amiya. She loves her photo taken ?

I think I'm doing something wrong ? lol

Everything looks kind of see-through ishhhh 

Going to do the next project and maybe re try this one again 

BUT! How cool to learn the plaid trick!

Amazing Cant wait to see what new backgrounds I can do with that! Thank you ?

maskworkshop02.jpg

Tonimarie, did you change those layers to black first.  If you made it a mask while still grey you will get that haze.  Cassel will probably explain it better to you.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Liz Hubbard said:

Too bad I can't read the instructions to know what to download, or the diagram labels on the mask instructions to figure out what to do.  I am not completely lost in using French, but there are special terms there which I don't know. I would not have signed up for a French language class with such minimal instructions if I had realized it. I think it could be presented in both official languages to be more inclusive.

Back to using the help files and Corel videos instead. Have fun!

I hope you reconsider your preference to use Corel help files and videos. While they can be useful, they are NOT as thorough, well-paced, and easy to follow as what you will get here from the Labs, Tutorials, and Master Classes. They are the best I've used - anywhere!

• Love 2

I knew what I was going to do for today's page last night.  I had already chosen the photos. I started last night by trying to replicate the label on the poster photo.  Using  a font bracket, and got as close  as I could to replicating the font used.   Used a slightly different font, and  font dingbats for the Love label.   We were frequent visitors to  Heligan,  which is in Cornwall. The estate owned by the same family for 400 yrs.  In the 1970's the house was converted to flats, The gardens were neglected,  then  in 1990 this sleeping beauty was discovered and re-awakened.  Becoming Europe's largest garden restoration.  A truly magical place for  the young and old.  

Day 3.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 4
  • Love 7

1 minute ago, Sue Thomas said:

I knew what I was going to do for today's page last night.  I had already chosen the photos. I started last night by trying to replicate the label on the poster,  Using  a font bracket, and got as close  as I could to replicating the font used.   Used a slightly different font, and  font dingbats for the Love label.   We were frequent visitors to  Heligan,  which is in Cornwall. The estate owned by the same family for 400 yrs.  In the 1970's the house was converted to flats, The gardens were neglected,  then  in 1990 this sleeping beauty was discovered and re-awakened.  Becoming Europe's largest garden restoration.  A truly magical place for  the young and old.  

Day 3.jpg

Oustanding Sue!  The label with the curl and the shadows are really awesome.  What a neat place to go.  

Here is day 3. I did the kaleidoscope tutorial multiple times with various color selections. The last selection gave me a background I could at least live with.

large.1489305589_MW2023Day3A-600.jpg.72949365502169ba3f51b904eb80c859.jpg

But when I had originally gotten frustrated with the tutorial, I had switched to doing a plaid tutorial. I chose #1. I ended up liking it a lot better with the photo especially after I did a blend mode of multiply at 100 to a flood filled layer with the color 103-40-39 (RGB). This will be the one I print.

large.910430140_MW2023Day3-600.jpg.6eed424f14839461125f5492c9687538.jpg

Now off to do the extra!

Edited by Rene Marker
  • Like 3
  • Love 5

57 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Thank you so much Susan. I will be doing another page tomorrow on Heligan. 

Day 3 history.jpg

What an interesting story.  I loved the part about "veteran plant specimens uncovered".  Does that mean they were still living?  Unreal.  I have always loved historical places that have been preserved, along with train/transportation museums.  When my friend went to Scotland last year and send back photo's at various castles it humbled me to think 300+ yrs ago people were right there in the same spot she was standing.  What were they doing, how busy was it, who lived there, who worked there.  So interesting, all of it.  

Carole, thank you for  the comments on my pages.  The lack of advice, suggestions etc, can mean only one thing.  You have taught me well over the years.  I have taken on board everything, some  things I have temporarily forgotten, but soon comes to the forefront when  needed to be used. I do like to put emphasis on details, which to me  is important.  PSP is a never ending learning  process.  As we have only just scratched the surface of it's capabilities.

• Like 1