Mask Workshop 2023

Cassel

I found my unfinished Day 1 from last year's mask workshop so finished it and did another one (I had computer problems and couldn't complete the workshop at that time). The Blue Jay is from 2022, the birds is current. Photos of the birds are from last week. They like to hang out in my one tree. One day I had close to 30 of them.

large.maskworkshopday1A-600.jpg.57e08252bac7312bc3a0e3017471b47a.jpglarge.maskworkshopday1-600.jpg.526e173389e7443795ef346b6c47958b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 7

Julie,  once it clicks, there will be no going back, it will become second nature to you.  I will suggest to you though, that you  create a mask at every opportunity.   Instead of  say, using the selection tool to  add a photo, until you have mastered the technique.    Lovely layout.  I love the  lifted corners technique and effect it has on a layout.  That script saves a lot of time.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I had already put my mind to using the background photo as the main photo for day 1 of the Mask challenge. We can have clear blue skies, but when the wind blows with such force, visibility is greatly diminished by blowing snow. I used the mask which came with Day 1 of the Love story challenge (Masks) back in 2017. I did have to edit it to accommodate the Blue Jay. The mask suited the layout I had in mind. I placed the blue frame, over and under the brown one. The page itself came together quickly, the word art took a little longer. ?  I didn't use a 12x12 scrap page, I used the size of the photo.

Day 1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 10

Memphis, TN is my theme.  Fun relearning how to make a shape into a mask.  I've been using the ClipToIt script so much of this year and last year (it's so easy and does all the work for you) but it is important to know what the steps are so that is how I shall continue.  The journaling font is Arial.  The pictures are mine.

2023 Feb Mask Workshop Project 1_600.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 8

My theme for this Workshop will be mushrooms, I have so many photos of them and often choose flowers instead. I'll add the names in Dutch and and in Latin because I don't know all the names in English and Google nor the dictionary is that helpful for this subject. I didn't have much time today so it is a simple layout and a good rehearsel of the masking technique because most of the time I use Carole's Raster to Mask script.

MaskWorkshop 2023 - Extra 1-600.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 11

So great to now know how to make templates into masks. I usually do not do scrapbook pages as I am more of a tagger for myself, friends, & family. Anyway,  I moved the photos around once I figured out what text to use and how much space I would need for it (aging eyes require larger fonts now). The font is Cotton Candies. I also recoloured the photo frames to subdue them. I don't post any people photos on the internet so I used a stock photo from a graphics site to which I have a paid subscription. The background paper is by Anitess at Deviant Art. Since the mask effect erased a bit of the tree drawing on the left side of the paper, I did a cut & paste of the original paper on top of the merged image to correct that.  Wonderful lesson. Am eagerly anticipating the next one. Sharon

mask lesson 1 Sharon.png

• Like 7
  • Love 9

Last year we visited my daughter in Savannah which is a foodie heaven. The background is from a DS kit called "Golden Hour." The fonts are Flamingo Shadow, Franciehmkbold and Farewell Angelina. I made the plaid border using another paper from the Golden Hour, and of course, I had to play with Carole's edge brushes. The heart holder is from my vector objects, the glitter is my own brush. The top edges were made with Carole's heart punch brushes. The pictures are mine taken at the restaurant(one of the best meals that we have ever had.) 

savannah.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 6

The layout with River features my departed dog, Lynda. She was The Mother of the House, raising Rudy and River from crusty kittens. Although she feigned grumpiness at their antics, she was always watching over them.

The card uses a picture from Pixabay and a paper from Creative Fabrica.

The third layout is my eldest niece and her family. The paper and element are from the kit Escale Amoureuse. The wordart is from Creative Fabrica.

GNL_MaskWorshopExtra1_Day_1_600.jpg

GNL_MaskWorshopExtra1B_Day_1_600.jpg

GNL_MaskWorshop_Day_1_600.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Like 6
  • Love 8

@Julie MagerkaGlad to hear that it is getting easier. As Sue has mentioned, keep going and with practice, it will become easier and more automatic.

@Rene MarkerNice to get back to an older layout. Did you not post it last year?

@Sue Thomas Your wordart is always a masterpiece!

@Anja PelzerSorry for your loss. I am glad you are learning to use masks in PSP. You know, the idea of the clipping mask in PS is exactly the inspiration for the script Clip to It!

@Mary SolaasDid you use the wrapped text for the journaling? The effect is lovely. I think you are having fun with the other templates!

@Lesley Maple Yes, with practice it will become easier. Or if you want it faster (without thinking), the Clip to It script does the same thing, but automatically.

@Ann SeeberInteresting how the center owl seems to blend into the background!

@Corrie KinkelWhy not show off mushrooms? The pictures of nature are always beautiful.

@sharon thompsonIf you ever want to create pages for family and friends, you can always replace the photos when you print the pages for them. And yes, you will be able to use the same technique for tags or other graphic projects if you are not into scrapbooking.

@Donna SilliaYou are definitely having fun with those brushes!

@Gerry LandrethYou are quite prolific in a single day!!!

If you have not yet posted, don't be shy! If you are stumped, post your questions. We are here to help.

See you tomorrow for more lessons!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Late getting started.  Hopefully more from Day 1 tomorrow.  I enlarged the mask quite a bit because I wanted the little star and bell from the fence to show.  Fonts are Moma Love and Mama from Creative Fabrica.  I textured the background but likely doesnt show here, it's a frosty sort of look.  Photo's are mind from a quick drive around the neighbourhood Dec 23, 2022.

I am really loving everyones mask layouts. I'm finding myself thinking, that's awesome, why didnt I think of that.  

Where did all the extras come from?   Oops, I'm a dumby, I just found it, helps to scrool ALL the way to the bottom.  yeesh.

Mask WS-2023 Day 1-Snow peeps-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 6
  • Love 4

One of the extras from Day 1 - a photo of great-grand Magic, font is Cabin Sketch, frame was a Corel freebie from a past year. Magic was proud of finishing a Bluey puzzle. Edit: I changed the mask to the colors of the February Palette.

MAGIC VALENTINE_600.png

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 4
  • Love 3