Newsletter chitchat - January 24, 2023

Cassel

When I read how long you waited to install a ceiling light I just laughed out loud. I've had so many projects around the house over the years and waited way too long to get some of them done. When they were done, I couldn't figure out why I had waited so long!!!!! They made such a difference in the general comfort or ease in the house. Years ago, in a smaller house, there was a metal post in front of the laundry sink in the basement. I always worked around it. Then after maybe 15 years or so I had it removed since it wasn't a support of any kind. It was like freedom at last! In this house, I have a few of those types of jobs that need doing. The difference today is how hard it is to get someone to do a small job.

Enjoy your new well-lit room!

• Like 1

I can never have overhead lights put into the bedrooms (my office was a bedroom at one time) or living room in this house. When my parents built it in the mid-1960's, they went all electric and chose to use ceiling electric heat. So there are heating wires running all though the ceiling. I can't even put a toggle hook to hang anything from in the ceiling because I can't chance hitting a wire. The 3 rooms that have an overhead light were installed when the house was built.

I no longer use the ceiling heat since I have a heat pump but when it gets extremely cold (like 10 degrees F or below), I have to use the ceiling heat as a backup. So I live with floor lamps and table lamps. I do need to look for different floor lamps for my office. The ones I have are old with 3 lamps on each one. One of them has lamps that go out and won't turn back on but maybe a day later works just fine. I do like the triple lamps since I can use just one or two or all 3 to vary the amount of light in the room.

• Like 1

We moved to our recent house almost 6 years ago and are still changing little things that become inconvenient after a while. Recently we bought a new washing machine because the old one was beyond repair and we had to alter the cupboard space otherwise the door of the new appliance couldn't be opened. The new one had other dimensions as the old, as did all the ones we looked at.?