Scrap Bootcamp - January 2023

Cassel

@Ann SeeberNice choice of colors to match the squares and the clip. I wonder if a black shadow on the title would make it stand out more instead of a white shadow that seems to make it a little "blurred". Or maybe it is due to the resizing, in which case you couldn't do anything.

@Mary SolaasNice work. You know, when you have scatters, it is ok if they overlap a small portion of the photos. In your case, it would almost be "expected" to be on top of the corners as they would not cover much of the image.

@Linda J WalkerWOW, you certainly managed to get great photos of that bird. I too would have expected it to just fly away. I guess it was just too good a lunch! As for time, don't worry, you still have until Monday to work on 4 projects, so you should be good.

@Anja PelzerThat two color title was very subtle, but very effective. As I mentioned to Mary, you are "allowed" to overlap the corner of a photo when you have some small elements like the footsteps in your page.

You got the last lesson of the series, but you still have time to complete them. And if you didn't start, it is not too late either!!

I am more relaxed when I am enjoying the outdoors.  One of my favorite locations for hiking and camping is Algonquin Park.  There is just something about the call of a loon that seems to melt away any angst that has built up and allows me to relax.  Thanks very much for putting together these sessions Cassel.  Greatly appreciated.  

large.1569223685_FinalProject600.jpg.f79450016f2987ddc8991c322442ef8e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 4

On 1/25/2023 at 7:24 PM, Gabriela said:

Fonts used ----Copper Alt Caps-----Jellyka Jellyfish-----A&S Heartbeat

Papers are from Pixabay

Elements are from years ago......

Paw prints is a Picture tupe 

Boot camp 4-600.jpg

Gabrella, how did you get the rounded corners on the frames? I kinda like that!  I 'think' when you got the window to 'select selecion borders' you used something other than Inside....that is my guess?

Pets have always left an empty hole in my heart when they are gone  ?

At the last Boot Camp, my Project 5 featured the Saturn 1B rocket at the Welcome Center at the Alabama/Tennessee line. Since then, it has been determined that it is no longer structurally sound.

Refurbishing it would require moving it to the NASA Marshal Space Flight Center in Huntsville. In 1979, power lines across roads were temporarily removed. Although the rocket had been dismantled, electrical poles were taken down to accommodate the massive size of the pieces. Today, overpasses make it impossible.

The font for the title is Neilvard One and the text font is Calibri which recently became the official font for the US State Department. The papers are from Marisa Lerin. 

GNL_Project_5_600.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

Gerry, I brought my family to Huntsville Space Camp many times and we always went to the back lot to see the rocket for it was on the ground at that time.  This was one of my favorite places to visit so I brought all my family here at one time or another and even sent one of my grandchildren to the actual space camp.  Great stuff!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Linda J Walker said:

Gabrella, how did you get the rounded corners on the frames? I kinda like that!  I 'think' when you got the window to 'select selecion borders' you used something other than Inside....that is my guess?

Pets have always left an empty hole in my heart when they are gone  ?

yes you are correct ....I did the outside selection instead of inside.

3 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

Gerry, I brought my family to Huntsville Space Camp many times and we always went to the back lot to see the rocket for it was on the ground at that time.  This was one of my favorite places to visit so I brought all my family here at one time or another and even sent one of my grandchildren to the actual space camp.  Great stuff!!

I always wanted to go to space camp but went to music camp instead. In front of the museum there is a Saturn V rocket that is lit up at night. It's an awesome sight as you approach it.

• Like 1

Lots of lessons learned on Project 4!  One of which is that I can't seem to find elements and papers to support what I have in my head of what I want to create! I've downloaded many "freebie" packages but they don't seem to fill the bill.  And what are these "tubes" that I read you guys are using? Do tell!  Please!

Project 4_600px.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Leslie Jostes said:

Lots of lessons learned on Project 4!  One of which is that I can't seem to find elements and papers to support what I have in my head of what I want to create! I've downloaded many "freebie" packages but they don't seem to fill the bill.  And what are these "tubes" that I read you guys are using? Do tell!  Please!

Project 4_600px.jpg

Picture tubes--https://learn.corel.com/picture-tubes-in-paintshop-pro/

You can also google 'PSP picture tubes'

Have fun!

Edited by Linda J Walker

Pretty well every lesson was new for me.  The features that were used that I will use a lot is the merging of different layers so that you can move more than one element at a time.  The other was the cutting of the paper using the erase tool.  Thanks for organizing and your input Carole. 

• Like 1

Fonts used 3 Hour Tour................Ghastly Panic

Bottom Paper from ps_brooke-gazarek

other Papers were actually Pattern Tiles 

Elements are from Pixabay,PNGTree and some from years ago

Quote i found on the internet and the picture is my Grandson when he was little 

bootcamp 5-600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Well I finished all 5 projects. As you can tell this is all new to me but I think I did OK considering. I owe it all to a great teacher. Thank you Cassel! My main interest  was to learn PSP.

The only trouble I had on this one was the text would disappear when I resized to 600. I had to convert it to raster to make it work.

Also when I uploaded it the colors are washed out. It looked much better before.

? an apple for the teacher.

Project 5 -600.jpg

Edited by Thomas Willis
  • Like 4
  • Love 4

39 minutes ago, Thomas Willis said:

Well I finished all 5 projects. As you can tell this is all new to me but I think I did OK considering. I owe it all to a great teacher. Thank you Cassel! My main interest  was to learn PSP.

The only trouble I had on this one was the text would disappear when I resized to 600. I had to convert it to raster to make it work.

Also when I uploaded it the colors are washed out. It looked much better before.

? an apple for the teacher.

Project 5 -600.jpg

That happens to me.  I usually save the large jpg then close it and open the jpg again and resize it and the text stays intact.  There is another way other members do it and Carole will likely chime in to tell you about.  It happens to us all.

• Like 1

Well, I did finish the 5th project.  Couldn't decide on a subject, but finally decided on this picture that Laurie took last spring up east.  I've always liked paths that turn a corner - you never know what lies beyond the curve - I always think it is something wonderful and exciting or maybe just wonderful.  The papers and elements are mine - the cluster was developed from elements downloaded from Pixel Scrapper at different times.  The frame is also from Pixel Scrapper.  The font is Aryadata - I'm sure it came from Creative Fabrica at sometime or other.  I changed the background paper and the frame with Hue/Saturation/Lightness.

2023 Jan Bootcamp Project 5_600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

50 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

That happens to me.  I usually save the large jpg then close it and open the jpg again and resize it and the text stays intact.  There is another way other members do it and Carole will likely chime in to tell you about.  It happens to us all.

For that reason, I now make it a habit to rasterize all text. I found it especially touchy if it's created in a selection area. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ann Seeber said:

For that reason, I now make it a habit to rasterize all text. I found it especially touchy if it's created in a selection area. 

I think that's a good idea.  And it's doesnt take much space to duplicate and keep the vector(and hide it) in case you need to edit it later. Saves a step I'm doing by closing and opening again to resize.  Did we read somewhere that using the jpg optimizer didnt have that problem.  I cant remember.  I dont use the optimizer, even having it explained to me I still dont see the difference in just using Save As, isnt it still the same amount of clicks.  Maybe I'm missing something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

I think that's a good idea.  And it's doesnt take much space to duplicate and keep the vector(and hide it) in case you need to edit it later. Saves a step I'm doing by closing and opening again to resize.  Did we read somewhere that using the jpg optimizer didnt have that problem.  I cant remember.  I dont use the optimizer, even having it explained to me I still dont see the difference in just using Save As, isnt it still the same amount of clicks.  Maybe I'm missing something.

I think I heard that, too, that the optimizer is better at stabilizing the text. It certainly gives you more control over compression. I created shortcuts on my toolbar for both optimizers, .jpg and .png. Very handy. They're right next to Cassel's new Guides script and Open as a New Layer-Rename. Really speeds things up a bit.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I think I heard that, too, that the optimizer is better at stabilizing the text. It certainly gives you more control over compression. I created shortcuts on my toolbar for both optimizers, .jpg and .png. Very handy. They're right next to Cassel's new Guides script and Open as a New Layer-Rename. Really speeds things up a bit.

I'll have to look into it more, I'm interested in the control over compression.  I have the optimizers on the toolbar too with the Open as a New Layer-rename.  Lately I've been dragging my supplies into PSP from my supplies folder.  I now have two monitors (as my husband works from home and needs two) so I can do it that way.  I will bind the guides script too. 

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

@Steve KovacsDid you add a shadow on the project 5 text? It is hard to say in the resized version, but remember that text typically has no thickness so it does not need a shadow. But it might also just be an illusion due to the resizing. For your idea of merging layers to move them, sometimes, it is enough to LINK them, since merged layers cannot be unmerged later!

@Linda J WalkerRounded corners are automatically created when expanding a selection or using the Select Selection Border with the Outside or Both option checked.

@Gerry LandrethInteresting tidbit of information. I heard that somewhere, a big object (maybe not a rocket) was to be moved through a town and to accommodate the space needed, they cut down hundred-year old trees on both sides of the road. At least, for power lines, they can "easily" be replaced!

@TonimarieGreat work. I am glad you enjoyed the bootcamp.

@Anja PelzerI think that using a part of the image as a fill for your title is a great idea. I would suggest to make the title even larger to accommodate such a busy pattern, otherwise, it is a little harder to read. You have plenty of room to make it larger.

@Leslie JostesI feel your frustration about not finding exactly what you want. In fact, that is the whole reason behind the membership where there are hundreds of tutorials to show you how to make your own supplies OR to convert existing supplies to suit what you want. A lot of members started just like you and now, they can create perfectly matching elements and papers. As for your question about "tubes", they are unique features of PaintShop Pro. Here are a couple of articles about them: Picture tubes in PSP and What can you do with Picture Tubes. That might answer at least some questions. Don't hesitate to ask if it is not clear enough.

@GabrielaSuch a fun layout for a cute photo. Well done.

@Thomas WillisThanks for the cuddos. The issue you are experiencing with the text "disappearing" is due to the fact that the wrapped text stays inside the "selection", yet once the selection is deselected, it has to stay in the program/image memory. The text does not really disappear, but is now outside of the smaller image. To test that, resize back to 3600 pixels (yes it will possibly be pixellated but just to illustrate). The text should still be where it was. I wrote an article about the Text Wrapping feature and at the end, I mention this issue. It should explain it. And as mentioned by others, it might be simpler to resize a jpg version of the full-size project OR to rasterize one copy of the text as the rasters won't be affected by that oddity.

@Mary SolaasI don't know if you added a texture to the title but it almost looks like embroidery. Is that just a trick on my eyes?

@kasanyNice photo to showcase. I think that the background paper would let the details show up more if it was solid OR even very blurred as it is hard to distinguish what is the background and what is a little square with a cloud since they are so similar in colors. I think you forgot some shadows on the elements (other than the title and the squares). Is that possible?

@Susan EwartThe compression will only be set when saving in jpg. In recent versions of PSP, you can adjust that right in the Save as... dialog window. I think it is the same as using the Optimizer. Back a few versions, the Optimizer was the only way to adjust the compression to control the file size. Not anymore.

For those who have not yet finished, don't worry, you still have a couple of days to post 4 out of 5 projects to be entered into the random draw, on Monday night.

• Love 1