Scrap Bootcamp - January 2023

Cassel

26 minutes ago, Linda J Walker said:

Project 3

I used the Janet Kemp Woodland Winter kit again, I think it goes nicely with the critters. I don't like the glitter paper much. I tried to adjust the blend mode, but I was not any happier with it, so I left it alone.

Question on the text, you clicked on the checkerboard for no outline. Is that the same as making the width of the stroke 0? Do they do the same thing?

Project3_Bootcamp_600.jpg

Hahaha I love that Linda.  Squirrels are resourceful.  I took the dividers out of my hopper style feeder so the squirrels could sit in it in the winter and eat out of the elements.  the Magpies taught the pigeons how to land in it as they barely fit.  All are welcome in my yard...well, almost all.  Only 4 pigeons at time are allowed ( I wish they'd get THAT memo).  This morning 16 landed (this is after the first 6 years living here and never seeing a pigeon at all), I usually shoo them off and then let 4 or less stay.  They are super poopers.  Yuk.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@cindy harrisYou did such a good job on the sandwich!!! That mayo addition was very well done. Can you remember the very first exercise you did a couple of years ago??? Such a progress and I see how your creativity is showing, now that you are getting more comfortable with using PSP!

@kasanyInteresting take on my suggestion. I would not have thought of using an abstract style, but hey, everyone has a different style ?

@Leslie JostesI see that you avoided a common mistake: you added the shadows on the little bows AFTER you rotated one of them. That is good because if you had added the shadow first, it would have looked odd. This way, it makes sense!

@Linda J WalkerTo answer your question, yes, making the stroke material null or setting the stroke size to 0 will achieve the same result. You said you didn't like the glitter paper. Did you try it with a small scale? That would make it not look like glitters but still having texture. But it is ok if you still don't like it.

@Anja PelzerGreat work on resizing the photos without distortion. 

@Thomas WillisThat light is so cool!! I see you are creative outside of the digital world!

Calling all the registrants who have not participated yet. Are you doing ok? Are you having issues with the tutorials or how to post your projects? Drop me a message if that is the case. I want you to make the best of this bootcamp!

• Love 1

I knew exactly what I wanted to do when this project was given to us.  About 10 years ago I quit my job as a lawyer and decided that I really wanted to work with and for dogs. I became a dog walker and pet sitter by day and in my free time I volunteer at my local animal shelter and smaller rescues from time to time.  Oh and I'm mom to three dogs. The dog on the left was rescued by the ASPCA along with approximately 300 other hounds in a cruelty/neglect case in Vermont last winter.  Our shelter took in about a dozen of the adult hounds and about 20 of the puppies.  The rest were sent to various shelters around the country.  His new mom & dad sent the shelter an update and a picture.  He's living the life and a healthy weight now.  The middle dog was transported from Texas to Massachusetts and ended up in our shelter where he quickly found a home.  The third dog was on a cross country trip thanks to a Great Pyrenees rescue organization to meet his parents to be.  I drove him on one leg of his trip.  Sometimes it can be soul crushing but these are three success stories.

As for the papers and elements, all came from MarissaL's Pets kit except for the Love element which came from Gina Jones' Fido kit  and the glitter which came from the link that Cassel gave us for glitter in the email.

scrap-proj-3-post.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 11

BOOTCAMP DAY 7 - #3

Photos: Fred Coffey-Photographer

Setting: Albany, NY

Background paper: ps-THLD-Iceland

Flowers: ps-Studio4-Iceland

Journaling: Poem "Midnight Snow in the City" by James Marshall Goff

Journaling Font: Franklin Gothic Demi Condensed

Title Font: Belisha

Glitter: ps-AHA_somewhereintime_glitters10 @ 25%

Stripe pattern created from center photo - jpg in Files on Facebook

BC-DAY7-MIDNIGHT SNOW IN THE CITY_600.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Tonimarie said:

The photos' quality dropped after being downsized to 600.

Your image is not showing. And to answer your question, it is normal to lose quality and you cannot really change that because when resized, there are just fewer pixels to give the detailed information.

Full disclosure...I've never done any scrapbooking!  However, I do create photo books which I believe I can incorporate the scrapbooking skills that I am developing!  A win-win!  I am not a big glitter person, but I had fun seeing how to use it.  I was pleased that I could flood fill the hearts with a 3rd glitter color after creating the "2-tone" glitter to go under my photos.

Project 3_600px.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Project 3

This was a lot of fun!   

My drop shadow is terrible on the rope around the flower. I have to try and redo it, but I think I saved it as a jpg.

Trying to improve working with drop shadows.... soon as I resized the rope it looked more ugly lol 

?

(Sorry Carole, my internet was weak due to the snow/rain where I am, but it appeared on my end..so I reposted )

Project3-bathtime2.jpg

Edited by Tonimarie
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

The Boys are now 12 and almost 15. I first met them seven years ago. 

The elements in the layout are a hodgepodge of stuff. I couldn't decide on what I wanted to do, so I scrolled. And scrolled some more. The fonts are Paladise for the title and Dear Friend for the quote. Both are from Creative Fabrica. 

The glitters was created using Creation Cassel's script, Glitters-C. 

GNL_Project_3_600.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

BOOTCAMP DAY 7 - #3

Photos: Fred Coffey-Photographer

Setting: Albany, NY

Background paper: ps-THLD-Iceland

Flowers: ps-Studio4-Iceland

Journaling: Poem "Midnight Snow in the City" by James Marshall Goff

Journaling Font: Franklin Gothic Demi Condensed

Title Font: Belisha

Glitter: ps-AHA_somewhereintime_glitters10 @ 25%

Stripe pattern created from center photo - jpg in Files on Facebook

BC-DAY7-MIDNIGHT SNOW IN THE CITY_600.jpg

Fabulous layout Ann.  I looked up the photographer.  HIs work is exceptional, no even better than exceptional.  Thanks for crediting his name.  I've bookmarked his website for times when I just want to see great art and be inspired.

• Thanks 1

My project 3.  This time the papers are mine and the elements are all from different picture tubes.   The pictures were taken in Memphis when my daughter and I did a Sunday tour of the sites in Memphis to use for my "M is for Memphis" alphabet book.  The font used is Arlington Script.  Most of the extra scripts I get are from Creative Fabrica.

2023 Jan Bootcamp Project 3_600.jpg

• Like 8

@Steve KovacsLovely quote and lovely photos. For your elements used to decorate, did you stretch them horizontally? They look a little... odd.

@Lesley MapleBeautiful cause and you showcase those photos very well. Good job in resizing the images without distorting them.

@GabrielaDid you create the text yourself? It is lovely and the combination of fonts gives a great result! Good work. You might want to adjust the paper width so the text does not end up over the edge.

@Ann SeeberI hope you share this page with the photographer! Who knows? You might convince him to showcase his photos in a "scrapbooking" way!

@Leslie JostesYou are doing a great job and photo books might feel "plain" while you can definitely add "scrapbooking" ideas and techniques to make them spectacular. Keep it up!

@TonimarieThose are such cute photos. They definitely deserve to be showcased! Great result!

@Gerry Landreth Great composition. I would be a little careful with overlapping two buttons! They would be hard to stick there. Also (and this is a tiny detail), notice that the light spot on the buttons indicates that the light is on the top RIGHT. You would need to rotate them 90 degrees to the left to be consistent with your shadows. This might have been a discrepancy from the start as the designer might not have noticed that.

@Mary SolaasI think I see a shadow on the text for your journaling. With small text, adding a shadow would make black text harder to read.

Are you ready for the 4th project? It is coming tomorrow!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

@Steve KovacsLovely quote and lovely photos. For your elements used to decorate, did you stretch them horizontally? They look a little... odd.

@Lesley MapleBeautiful cause and you showcase those photos very well. Good job in resizing the images without distorting them.

@GabrielaDid you create the text yourself? It is lovely and the combination of fonts gives a great result! Good work. You might want to adjust the paper width so the text does not end up over the edge.

@Ann SeeberI hope you share this page with the photographer! Who knows? You might convince him to showcase his photos in a "scrapbooking" way!

@Leslie JostesYou are doing a great job and photo books might feel "plain" while you can definitely add "scrapbooking" ideas and techniques to make them spectacular. Keep it up!

@TonimarieThose are such cute photos. They definitely deserve to be showcased! Great result!

@Gerry Landreth Great composition. I would be a little careful with overlapping two buttons! They would be hard to stick there. Also (and this is a tiny detail), notice that the light spot on the buttons indicates that the light is on the top RIGHT. You would need to rotate them 90 degrees to the left to be consistent with your shadows. This might have been a discrepancy from the start as the designer might not have noticed that.

@Mary SolaasI think I see a shadow on the text for your journaling. With small text, adding a shadow would make black text harder to read.

Good Point Cassel .!! I should of moved the paper over a bit or made the text smaller !! The quote i found on the internet some years ago ...Auther unknown .......that part got hidden under the paper / pictures , If i would of made the text smaller it would of probably shown that part !

• Like 1

DAY 9 #4: Anna Loves Dante - My granddaughter has a new cat named Dante. I got a kit from Digitalscrapbook.com by Gina Jones called Every Day is Caturday. The plain papers, the heart and the scatters are from my stash. The patterned paper, word art and cat accessories are from the kit. The fonts used are Gill Sans Ultra and Birdy.

DANTE & ANNA_600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 6

47 minutes ago, Suanne Bundy said:

I am so sad, I was looking so forward to doing this and we had 2 family members pass away last week, I can't even get to lesson 2 until next week!!!!!

I am so sorry for your loss. Remember that the lessons will still be there, and this thread will still be open for you, so take care of yourself and your loved ones first. PSP can wait!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cassel said:

Hello, as my supplies were limited at the time I did this project I did not have many elements to choose from.  So yes, those were stretched out a little. I have since acquired more kits.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Kovacs said:

Hello.  In doing this next project I am not sure why but when I chose the magic wand and click on the photo that I want to place a frame around it selects the entire back ground??? 

Hi Steve - I usually lock the transparency lock at the top of the layers palette so only one item gets selected. See if that helps...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Kovacs said:

Hello.  In doing this next project I am not sure why but when I chose the magic wand and click on the photo that I want to place a frame around it selects the entire back ground??? 

Check to make sure "Use All Layers" is not checked for the Magic Wand. What you are describing is what usually happens to me when that is checked.