Scrap Bootcamp - January 2023

Cassel

ScrapBootcamp3-800-Title-400x300.jpg

First of all, come and say HI once you register for this bootcamp.

We want to know who else will be there, on our side to cheer everyone up.

Everyone started as a beginner, so don't ever compare yourself to others. You will learn one tool at the time, one concept at the time and you will create one project at the time. Everyone will have different photos and possibly different supplies so every project will be different.

Once the Bootcamp is started, on January 16th, 2023, you can post your projects in here.

Remember to resize your images to about 600 pixels AND saving in jpg format, before uploading them to the gallery (check this tutorial to upload to the gallery) so it won't slow down the site when we have lots of your masterpieces. Try to follow the tutorials at least enough so that we can recognize what lesson you completed.

Now, let's get ready !

If you missed the registration link or if you found this thread before I announce it (some people are very observant), HERE it is. Share it around if you want.

Although this Bootcamp is mostly meant to help beginners, we won't exclude anyone for "excess experience". Some participants are back for a second (or third) round. You are always welcome. Remember that it will be the exact same tutorials so don't be surprised. I am sure you will now do something slightly different than the previous time.

Since anyone can follow the whole Bootcamp using the trial version of PaintShop Pro, this is a perfect opportunity for anyone to give it a try and see how they like the program, so share with your friends who MIGHT consider using PaintShop Pro.

The 7 tutorials will be spaced out over almost 2 weeks. This should make it easier for participants to follow without feeling stressed (it should never be stressful!).

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 6:32 PM, Cassel said:

ScrapBootcamp3-800-Title-400x300.jpg

First of all, come and say HI once you register for this bootcamp.

We want to know who else will be there, on our side to cheer everyone up.

Everyone started as a beginner, so don't ever compare yourself to others. You will learn one tool at the time, one concept at the time and you will create one project at the time. Everyone will have different photos and possibly different supplies so every project will be different.

Once the Bootcamp is started, on January 16th, 2023, you can post your projects in here.

Remember to resize your images to about 600 pixels AND saving in jpg format, before uploading them to the gallery (check this tutorial to upload to the gallery) so it won't slow down the site when we have lots of your masterpieces. Try to follow the tutorials at least enough so that we can recognize what lesson you completed.

Now, let's get ready !

If you missed the registration link or if you found this thread before I announce it (some people are very observant), HERE it is. Share it around if you want.

Although this Bootcamp is mostly meant to help beginners, we won't exclude anyone for "excess experience". Some participants are back for a second (or third) round. You are always welcome. Remember that it will be the exact same tutorials so don't be surprised. I am sure you will now do something slightly different than the previous time.

Since anyone can follow the whole Bootcamp using the trial version of PaintShop Pro, this is a perfect opportunity for anyone to give it a try and see how they like the program, so share with your friends who MIGHT consider using PaintShop Pro.

The 7 tutorials will be spaced out over almost 2 weeks. This should make it easier for participants to follow without feeling stressed (it should never be stressful!).

Hi I registered and so looking forward to being able to complete something, I spin my wheels to much ?  I want to learn  ?  ty all  Thank You Teacher

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Linda J Walker said:

I need a tutorial on the new forum an how to get a photo under my name.

Go to the top right, beside the "photo", click on the little triangle and select Profile.

There, you should see a little icon on the bottom left of your "photo" where you can click and follow the prompts.

I should make a tutorial for it with screenshot. I'll try to do that later today!

• Like 1

So, my first question is how to size the screen capture or image that I am posting here so that I do not improperly oversize them as it looks like I may have on the first one above.  The sliding bar refers to image quality and not pixel size when saving.  I want to make sure I am following the 600 pixel sizing. Thanks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve Kovacs said:

So, my first question is how to size the screen capture or image that I am posting here so that I do not improperly oversize them as it looks like I may have on the first one above.  The sliding bar refers to image quality and not pixel size when saving.  I want to make sure I am following the 600 pixel sizing. Thanks

In your PSP, go to Image > Resize and under the first tab (by pixels), you should see the option to enter 600 in the width value.

image.png

Then, make sure you save a copy of it with -600 in the filename so you don't overwrite your full-size image.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Kovacs said:

I guess this would apply to the image that I am trying to use for profile as well as I cannot seem to get below the 51k threshold

I can assume so. You will find that resizing images is something you will do very often with PSP so it is a good practice to get started.

• Like 1

Just a question for Cassel: On the introduction to Bootcamp email today it says: "Post the question in the forum or, if you are shy, click on the NEED HELP tab on the right side of most pages to send me a direct email" The NEED HELP tab would be useful here, but it's gone. How do newcomers reach you now if they need help? ?

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

"Post the question in the forum or, if you are shy, click on the NEED HELP tab on the right side of most pages to send me a direct email" The NEED HELP tab would be useful here, but it's gone. How do newcomers reach you now if they need help? ?

Yeah, it seems to be missing in the forum and gallery. It might be due to the different platform. I'll check if there is a way to get it back OR to get something comparable. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Like 2

I've been a member of The Campus for over 2 years but I decided to try something new with my PSP setup. I activated the Navigation on the Manage tab in order to create thumbnails and then switched to the Edit tab and added the Organizer palette for the first time and voila, the thumbnails appeared as if by magic! It seems I'm forever hunting for the photos or elements I need so now I can gather them all in a Tray, which is also new to me.  Here's my setup:

setup 2023_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 4

I am going to use 2021 for this Bootcamp, because I am not very comfortable with it and I have it. I am most familiar with X9.

This is my workspace. Not sure what photos I will be using, but I opened one of my middle daughter being a teen, about 12 years ago. She has grown up a bit since then ? We are both wiser now.

Image4.jpg

Edited by Linda J Walker
  • Like 2

I have not changed my workspace since the first bootcamp I attended.  I like the light grey background and the palette that Carole Cassel uses.  However, I notice that Ann Seeber is adding the Organizer palette to hold the pictures etc. she will be using in the layout.  Well, I had used it at first and then discarded the idea.  But, I think I will use it again as Ann is.

• Like 2

Joining Boot Camp was a last minute decision. I always enjoy going back to the basics where I always learn something new. Because of major life changes, I wasn't able to finish the workshops at the end of 2022. I went from helping out with my mom to being her full-time caregiver. The pace of Boot Camp fits perfectly as I learn to carve out time for little projects.

My workspace is basic with some adjustments. I use larger icons and have a couple of Carole's scripts, Open as New Layer and Clip-to-It, bound to menus. As a recovering "Early Adopter," I use the latest version of PSP. However, I always keep the previous version in case there are bugs in the new version when it is released.

The picture in the workspace is my niece and her daughter. The other picture is of her boys. 

2023_HeatherCorinne_Desktop.jpg

2023_TheBoys.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

@cindy harris I know you will be doing well, Cindy. You are getting more and more confident with your PSP and it shows.

@Linda J Walker I hope it will be more than just "passing time". We will have fun, I promise.

@Anja Pelzer Hopefully, this will be at a reasonable pace for you.

@Mary Solaas The organizer can be great, but it also takes room so it might depend on the size of your monitor/workspace.

@Gerry Landreth Those will be fun to use in projects. Glad you joined, even if it was just a last-minute decision.

@Steve KovacsYou will see that, although the bootcamp will revolve around showcasing photos, there is also room for stories, and that is just as important! As for your workspace, keep in mind that when you work with multiple images, you might want to use untabbed documents. But you will see when you start working, especially with the sandwich.

@Ann SeeberAs mentioned for Mary, if you have the space for it, the Organizer can be good. My monitor is quite small so it is not convenient for me.

Don't be shy to post in this thread. We look at every single post!

10 minutes ago, Thomas Willis said:

Also when I resize image, I can't lock the aspect ratio as shown in your example to Steve.

Hi Thomas. What do you get instead of what I have? Maybe you are using the AI-Powered mode, in which case, it will show something different. Maybe check this article and see if that is what you see?