What are you working on (in January 2023)?

Cassel

1 hour ago, Colin Hooson said:

Not too happy with this one, it just will not come out right. All the elements of Lab 6 07 are there but it just doesn't look right, but hay ho.

Could it be because there are not shadows? The absence of shadows leave the project look "flat". Can you try that and see if it makes enough difference?

Having fun with Lab13 Lesson 1 for Stencil effects, I decided to turn my disaster cake icing efforts in the kitchen to an advantage by creating a ribbon to go around the cake in an effort to hide the disaster.

I created a new star shape image by making a 3D cut out effect* for the contours as in the lesson and then applied cass-enamel script for the metallic contour effect. I made selections for the background and filled them using two of cass-glitters papers, whilst open in my workplace (using the Pattern mode in the Materials palette). I have also used those love fireworks from cass-fireworks Picture Tube, to celebrate the New Year.

* I did note that with the Cut Out option under Effects/3D Effects/Cut Out, that there was no option to place the shadow on a new layer. I am using PSP Ultimate 2021.

metal stars-600.jpg

NewYearRibbon.jpg

• Like 4
  • WOW 1
  • Love 4

I have just taken a gander through all the pages, as it is currently  snowing.  What an array of wonderfully creative pages posted. 

I thought I'd make  a start on general ecards.  Here are two that I have started, no doubt before they are destined for their intended recipient,  they will be tweaked.  Currently working on an  Easter card. 

Many of you will know  that I keep  my pages simple and minimal. Maintaining  focus on the photos.  I'd better get back to it.

Birthday ecard 5.jpg

Birthday ecard.jpg

• Love 6

OMG!  I love that Nuthatch!  Beautiful and inspiring.  I love that I get to see upclose what comes to my feeders.  they are so swift and it's hard to really get a look at them.  thanks to you, I get to study them closer up...in the warmth and comfort of home.  How you captured this one with such action is really amazing.  You have ninja reflexes on the shutter release button.  I wonder if the snow is coming this way (Alberta), currently +6 right now, but supposed to be high of -15 on Saturday.  The birds were really noisy today, wonder if it was the warm weather.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:01 PM, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Manassas Park Community Center is my gym and this Autumn I stopped on the way home to photograph some trees showing off their Fall color. Template by International Word Art.

2022 10 25 MPCC Trees Wordart_Autumn_Template 600.jpg

Don't know how far south you had to fly to get the trees like that but here in the UK it's bare branches and snow for days at a time. Still I have a few plants that are flowering. Even the Wall Flowers.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Colin Hooson said:

Don't know how far south you had to fly to get the trees like that but here in the UK it's bare branches and snow for days at a time. Still I have a few plants that are flowering. Even the Wall Flowers.

Colin, this photo was taken October 25, 2022. I live in Virginia about 25 miles SW of Washington, DC. Virginia is on the east coast of the US but I live inland. We did have a beautiful Autumn this year. Some years we don't get much color but this year was a colorful year.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Colin, this photo was taken October 25, 2022. I live in Virginia about 25 miles SW of Washington, DC. Virginia is on the east coast of the US but I live inland. We did have a beautiful Autumn this year. Some years we don't get much color but this year was a colorful year.

Didn't realise it may have been taken in the autumn (Fall). thanks for clearing this up, Regards Colin 

These a lot happening in europe around now. when is someone going to wake up and realise this is the reverse of the 1960's cuban missile crisis. The west should back down and look to see what is happening and take the right action or we are in for a nuclear winter 

Humanity 1 600.jpg

Edited by Colin Hooson
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Colin Hooson said:

These a lot happening in europe around now. when is someone going to wake up and realise this is the reverse of the 1960's cuban missile crisis. The west should back down and look to see what is happening and take the right action or we are in for a nuclear winter 

Humanity 1 600.jpg

Hi Colin

Me too I dread. We are slipping slowly but certainly towards a world war. Ukraine is taking its orders and we are carrying out its orders. You have to start saying NO. Voices are rising in France where I live.

LAB 6-7

• Sandbrush
  • Scale Pattern
  • Wavy Flag
  • Inspiration Template W used for this LAB

Another fun lab.  The scale pattern was my favorite.  I played with color combinations for quite some time, it's addictive when you want to see just one more combination...an hour later you are still doing it, and the rice is burning upstairs!  I know, it's hard to burn rice when cooking on low.  If I can melt a colander making spaghetti, I can burn rice (I have...many times).  But you aren't reading this for my cooking advice are you?  Back to the Lab at hand.  The sandbrush was surprisingly easy to do,  yet hard to control it just how you want.  I'm thankful for the good instruction on the wavy flag.  It took me some time to figure out the "shear" setting on the pick tool  I couldnt figure out how to get the middle handle(node?) to change from vertical to horizontal.  I got there by mistake and took me time to figure out how to change the directional arrow thing.  

The background scale pattern (which looks like supermans colors - don't get me started on Henry Cavill doing Supermand and NOT doing The Witcher!) has a gradient background and the pattern has a 14% angle with a scale set at 80.  the scales looked best in black.  I used the sand brush as a paper  and for the stars and ovals.  The frame around the whole photo/title area has an inner bevel (#2, width 8, smooth 10, depth 7) to help it stand out.  Fonts are Gills Sans Ultra Bold Condensed (title) and Adaniya (Creative Fabrica) on the wavy flag.  Photo's are mine.  

Inspiration Template W for LAB 6-7-600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Colin Hooson said:

1 hour ago, mireille said:

Me too I dread. We are slipping slowly but certainly towards a world war. Ukraine is taking its orders and we are carrying out its orders. You have to start saying NO. Voices are rising in France where I live.

I just want to remind participants to try to avoid slippery topics because we want to be a neutral place for everyone to feel welcome. In the past, discussions about political views and religion have caused members to leave. These posts are not at that point yet, but for anyone who is reading, it COULD get slippery.

Thank you for supporting each other, even when world events might trigger some strong feelings.

• Like 6

I've known for some weeks that this day would arrive, so I began working on a small tribute to my mother and her siblings, all of whom are now gone. The last uncle just died last night; his brother died last September; and my mom and her sister have been gone longer. I'm not just an orphan but uncle- and aunt-less too! Karel (called Charlie) was 96, so we are not in deep mourning, but I do feel the loss right now...of all of them. Requiescant in pace.

The photo is likely from the mid-40s b/c the uncle who died yesterday has on his navy cap. He was underaged but sneaked into the Navy and served on a corvette in the North Atlantic. I do genealogy layouts for my family history, hence the tree.

Komon project_600.jpg

• Love 7

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

LAB 6-7

• Sandbrush
  • Scale Pattern
  • Wavy Flag
  • Inspiration Template W used for this LAB

Another fun lab.  The scale pattern was my favorite.  I played with color combinations for quite some time, it's addictive when you want to see just one more combination...an hour later you are still doing it, and the rice is burning upstairs!  I know, it's hard to burn rice when cooking on low.  If I can melt a colander making spaghetti, I can burn rice (I have...many times).  But you aren't reading this for my cooking advice are you?  Back to the Lab at hand.  The sandbrush was surprisingly easy to do,  yet hard to control it just how you want.  I'm thankful for the good instruction on the wavy flag.  It took me some time to figure out the "shear" setting on the pick tool  I couldnt figure out how to get the middle handle(node?) to change from vertical to horizontal.  I got there by mistake and took me time to figure out how to change the directional arrow thing.  

The background scale pattern (which looks like supermans colors - don't get me started on Henry Cavill doing Supermand and NOT doing The Witcher!) has a gradient background and the pattern has a 14% angle with a scale set at 80.  the scales looked best in black.  I used the sand brush as a paper  and for the stars and ovals.  The frame around the whole photo/title area has an inner bevel (#2, width 8, smooth 10, depth 7) to help it stand out.  Fonts are Gills Sans Ultra Bold Condensed (title) and Adaniya (Creative Fabrica) on the wavy flag.  Photo's are mine.  

Inspiration Template W for LAB 6-7-600.jpg

Susan, I admire your grit and determination to get through those Labs! I start and stop and start and stop....and jump from 3 to 8 and so on....but they are so helpful. I will persist.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Susan, I admire your grit and determination to get through those Labs! I start and stop and start and stop....and jump from 3 to 8 and so on....but they are so helpful. I will persist.

Thank you Julie.  I hope i have the grit and determination to see it through. At my current pace it's going to be at least a couple years!  I think however you (or anyone) do them is the right way to do them.  If you jump around, that's perfect too.  In the end...we will have gotten to the same finish line, using two different routes.  How fun to see what people are doing in any of the labs, especially ones I havent done that I can look forward to.  I do think I will try not and be so ridged about the order if I decide to do one oout of order.  Going in order means I dont have to choose which one to do, isnt that lazy of me.  Sometimes I dont want to think of where do I go next.  I also watched Mary go through them and saw all the techniques she was learning and thought, by the end of them, maybe, just maybe, I will remember the techniques without needing a tutorial.  A girl can dream eh?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

I've known for some weeks that this day would arrive, so I began working on a small tribute to my mother and her siblings, all of whom are now gone. The last uncle just died last night; his brother died last September; and my mom and her sister have been gone longer. I'm not just an orphan but uncle- and aunt-less too! Karel (called Charlie) was 96, so we are not in deep mourning, but I do feel the loss right now...of all of them. Requiescant in pace.

The photo is likely from the mid-40s b/c the uncle who died yesterday has on his navy cap. He was underaged but sneaked into the Navy and served on a corvette in the North Atlantic. I do genealogy layouts for my family history, hence the tree.

Komon project_600.jpg

Julie you did a lovely layout for your family and like you I don't have parents or aunts and uncles anymore. When you grow older this is suppost to happen but I still feel a bit lost without them. Luckely I still have 2 nieces to recall old memories with.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It was Saint Dwynwen's Day on Wednesday in Wales. 25th Jan. I made a tag for an ecard I sent to family and friends in Wales. St Dwynwen's day dates back to the 12 century. A true love story about a young girl named Dwynwen. The Welsh equivalent to the American St Valentines day. I used vector shapes. I had to change it to a raster to add the butterfly.

St Dwynwen's Day.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 5