Login Register       -----      Contact us

Remember when…?

Where are those memories stored? How do you share them? Do you have them in writing? Probably not.

RememberWhenScrapbooking has long been about documenting memories, using whatever we have on hand: a photo, a lock of hair, a newspaper clipping, etc. Over time, with the availability of smart phones, and other portable devices, people have been taking more and more pictures to capture memories and stories. This is great when you want to document recent events, people you met in the last years, and activities you did recently.

Even if you have thousands of pictures stored on your phone, your tablet or your computer, your memories are not limited to those people and events captured in photos.

Stories fill your head about when you were younger (without those digital devices or any camera on hand), or when you were alone, or when you got startled or surprised in a situation, or meeting someone. Do you remember when Aunt Mary dropped her groceries in the stairs? Do you remember when you lost your wallet at the store and a stranger mailed it back to you? Do you remember when your uncle played Santa and the bathroom door was purposefully locked to pretend he was there (in case your cousins would have noticed he was missing)?

Are they stored somewhere?

Where are those memories stored? In your head, of course. How do you share them? Probably just orally, when you have family gatherings or when you meet a certain person. Do you have them in writing? Probably not. And i am the first one to admit that i have wanted to put such stories in writing, for years (many years!).

If you want to document memories, share stories and really put them on paper, join me in this journey. If you have photos to accompany those stories, that is fine, but i suspect that most of your memories have never been captured in photos.

Scrapbooking without photos?

But wait, we are talking about scrapbooking right? Isn’t scrapbooking a way to share photos and stories? I guess it can be that way, but we can use scrapbooking supplies to embellish our stories without photos, just like a nice story book.

Every week in 2014, on Mondays, i will be offering a simple prompt to trigger some memories and stories. I will be sharing my own too. Join me and share a summary of your memories (no need for a full length novel each week!). And if you want to create a layout with it, even better; just share it too!

And really, if you don’t want to do a scrapbook layout, or if you are not into scrapbooking at all, just grab yourself a notebook and write. Write those stories for yourself, your family, your friends, your kids.

Do you want to join in? Start by telling us your reasons for participating. Do you have a particular goal? Do you want to challenge yourself? Do you want to fulfill a dream? Let’s start the sharing.

The first story/prompt will be posted on January 6th. Are you ready to start?

Check out the first prompt about Santa.

14 Responses to Remember when…?
  1. Peggy Dorgan
    January 1, 2014 | 5:00 pm

What an awesome idea. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer the week before Christmas & have been thinking about not having scrapbooks from when my children were growing up. I spent many years when my children were young without a camera or without enough money for film & processing. I am anxious to get started.

January 1, 2014 | 5:05 pm

Sorry for your current health situation. I hope this activity will help you somehow. I am anxious to read more about your stories.

2. Lynn Herron
    January 1, 2014 | 6:34 pm

I too love the idea. I have 5 kids 9 grandkids. I too dont have many pictures of the kids growning up and some grandkids more pictures than others.And yes most memories are in my head.Putting them on paper for all to see would be a wonderful idea.

January 1, 2014 | 6:40 pm

This will surely be fun to read about all those “unwritten” stories.

3. Sylvia Cuillo
    January 1, 2014 | 9:00 pm

This is a wonderful endeavor and I can’t imagine how meaningful the end result with be! Priceless!!! Thank you for putting this together!

January 1, 2014 | 9:07 pm

Yes, I think it will be priceless and definitely different from a simple photo album! Welcome aboard!

4. Marlene Lingham
    January 2, 2014 | 2:45 am

I emigrated from England 43 years ago, leaving all my family behind. Recent visits home have reminded me of all my childhood memories of which, as you said, I have very few photos – this will be a good way to make these memories permanent. I have no kids/grandkids to share with but perhaps my great nieces/nephews will be interested.

January 2, 2014 | 3:14 pm

I am glad you might find a good way to share those memories that could not have their place in a scrapbook album otherwise. Welcome!

5. Holly Klass
    January 5, 2014 | 7:56 pm

My grandmother wrote her story until she married my grandfather and never continued. Neither of my parents wrote their stories although I found a notebook where my father started writing his progress in a course he was taking and then branched into what was going on in his life at the time. Nothing after that. Although my family line ends with my daughter I think it’s would be a good thing to record events as well as feelings in my life. It might add to the history of our family and can be included in my web site.

January 5, 2014 | 8:02 pm

I am sure other people around you will love to read those stories too.

6. Linda Rexford
    January 6, 2014 | 2:07 am

I think this is a great idea. I love when you give me food for thought. Sometimes we all need something or someone to help spark something in us. I’m at that point, I need to find my direction and creativity is a direction I want to go. I loved the Scrappers Dozen and look forward to this. Let the fun begin!!

January 6, 2014 | 2:24 am

I am really looking forward to all those stories that will be shared (and layouts that might be made too).

7. Jan Geheb
    January 8, 2014 | 7:00 am

I love the idea of getting stories on paper that I had not even thought about. My goal as a scrapbooker is to tell stories about our family, so any new ideas to help me better tell our stories is so exciting!

Thank you!

• Cassel
      January 9, 2014 | 3:53 am

Looking forward to read your stories too.

Powered by sweet Captcha

Current ye@r *

Remember when…?

Are they stored somewhere?

Scrapbooking without photos?

The first story/prompt will be posted on January 6th. Are you ready to start?

Check out the first prompt about Santa.

14 Responses to Remember when…?
  1. Peggy Dorgan
    January 1, 2014 | 5:00 pm

January 1, 2014 | 5:05 pm

2. Lynn Herron
    January 1, 2014 | 6:34 pm

January 1, 2014 | 6:40 pm

This will surely be fun to read about all those “unwritten” stories.

3. Sylvia Cuillo
    January 1, 2014 | 9:00 pm

January 1, 2014 | 9:07 pm

4. Marlene Lingham
    January 2, 2014 | 2:45 am

January 2, 2014 | 3:14 pm

5. Holly Klass
    January 5, 2014 | 7:56 pm

January 5, 2014 | 8:02 pm

I am sure other people around you will love to read those stories too.

6. Linda Rexford
    January 6, 2014 | 2:07 am

January 6, 2014 | 2:24 am

7. Jan Geheb
    January 8, 2014 | 7:00 am

Thank you!

• Cassel
      January 9, 2014 | 3:53 am

Looking forward to read your stories too.

Powered by sweet Captcha

Current ye@r *

BETTER PHOTOS IN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS
8 tools to improve ordinary photos and make them extraordinary
Your Information will never be shared with any third party.
GREAT!
Just check your inbox for our email
to confirm your address.
and you should get your ebook
shortly after.
Dolor aliquet augue augue sit magnis, magna aenean aenean et! Et tempor, facilisis cursus turpis tempor odio, cursus montes ac turpis. Ultrices! Massa integer augue ridiculus adipiscing, massa cras pid. Turpis placerat scelerisque, vut odio mus non, mattis porttitor, nunc odio, turpis tortor sit? Pid amet, sed facilisis.
  • Goblinus globalus fantumo tandempo
  • Scelerisque cursus dignissim donus
  • Montes vutario lacus quis arcupolisio
  • Leftomato denitro oculus tepircos den
  • Spiratio dodenus christmas popupius
  • Afrenius globalus spiritum tandempo
  • Fitatos vutario lacus quis arcup delis